MR Fare Sub-Forums

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Chris H, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    We've been discussing the pros and cons of sub-forums (and sub, sub-forums) for the different alliances over here. I think that the consensus is that at the very least, we would like to have sub-forums for the different alliances and a sub-forum for non-alliance fares.

In addition, here we are discussing the same questions for premium fares.

Would it be possible to implement these features?

noam likes this.
  2. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, please. :)

BondAir007 likes this.
  3. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would be a much nicer way of keeping track of these things.. but what about fares that occue for multiple alliances? Having two posts for essentially the same MR could limit discussion... Or cause people from one alliance not to look at posts in the other forum (even when one is discoverd to work on multiple alliances). Also, on FT the MR secvtion has been awfully uiet the last while, hardly a high volume of posts...

4. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be really cool if there was a fancy way to tag any given MR fare - like #AA (or with buttons) so we could filter by whatever criteria we desire.

Gnopps likes this.
  5. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are there really many fares that cross alliances? Sure another airline might match a fare, but are there really fares that are good on UA and AA?

6. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great minds think alike. :) I was just thinking about this when I saw the thread was updated.

7. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

8. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Filtering the posts would be great..! Better than sub-forums even.

Fair enough, I can't imagine it coming up all that often but I just wanted to throw it out there as a consideration.. a too finely grained filing system can be problematic at times.

9. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it was worth bringing up.

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like it would be pretty easy if a fare crossed alliances to start a thread and post a link to the thread in the other alliance's subforum (like a stub).

11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Fare wars are common, at least on some routes.

DesertRose likes this.
  12. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, it's just something people would need to keep an eye out for and even with stubs try not to fracture the conversation too much.

Although I'm still a bit hung up because of volume of MRs being posted these days is pretty light... unless there's a huge hidden volume of them that will appear here and haven't been appearing on FT.

13. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope so! Maybe people have gotten tired of how disorganized the fares are on FT?

14. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, I can't imagine the airlines stopped making mistakes and putting out a good deals (either on purpose or accidentally). I think much of the deals went private over concerns of people ruining the deals.

Personally, when the threads are titled correctly it was very easy to take a quick glance through all of the deals and see any that either applied to *A (in my case) or any super good deals that I'd take just for the fun of it due to the low price. However, not everyone managed to title threads correctly...

I used to check in over at howardforums for cell phone advice and when they updated the site last year they added many more sub forums and it just fractured the discussions so much that they seemed to lose a lot - perhaps people just didn't check the numerous subforums as often?

On some other sites though I've seen a format where in the main forum you see threads posted to that forums plus all of the threads for all of the sub forums but could still enter the sub forum to see only those posts. I suppose the sub forums acted as filters but to some degree it was nice that you could still see everything at once.

tomh009 likes this.
  15. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid you're correct about things going private. Every day I felt that people were pushing harder and harder to keep everything a secret (from the Mint to the FD to the Mistake Fares). I just got tired of it all and stopped reading. Simply too much arguing and nagging.

So true!

A valid point and something to be aware of.
    This is really interesting, and a lot more doable (I imagine) than my earlier idea of tagging each post appropriately for filtering by #hashtags.

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely like this idea for the MR forum, as long as it wouldn't have to work the same way for all other subforums.

17. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, quite annoying actually.. but then having it all go private isn't any good either. I figure if I didn't know about the deals before I'll survive not knowing now :)

It's an interesting way of doing things but I'm not sure if it'd be compatible across all BB software - I believe it was done on the Netgear/Infrant Support Forum (URL escapes me right now though. I'm not wild about it but it could sole some issues for this situation.

18. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another idea would be to have a place to enter the fare information with fields so that you put in all relevant info. Then that populates a spreadsheet-like page which can then be sorted somewhat (maybe just by carrier, alliance, and origin; maybe by more). One column of that page then contains hyperlinks to discussion threads for each fare.

If you look at the "meetups" tab above, they've already done something similar for meetups. The calendar contains the title of the DO on its date(s). That title is then a hyperlink to a DO page which includes a googlemap of the location, basic details, and the discussion thread for the DO.

Something similar for MR fares would allow a fairly simple indexing of all of the good fares, with the ability to then join in a discussion of the fare or to plan a MR DO around the fare.

Sarah likes this.
  19. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not
    Not a bad idea. The only potential downside I can see is that someone has to keep the spreadsheet cleaned up.

20. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could keep the data reasonably good with validation rules (though these might keep some people from playing if they were too hard to satisfy). And you could make it self-policing for dead fares by either letting the OP click a "fare gone" button or letting X number of members do the same which would then delete it from the "live" listing. The discussion thread could live on for the usual post-death discussions.

21. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    That has potential, but it seems to me that "fare gone" is exclaimed prematurely pretty regularly over on FT. So the trick will be figuring out how to decide when a fare is truly dead.

22. Perhaps there could also be a way for users to leave comments in the spreadsheet with the most recent three or four (or any arbitrary) comments displayed (ie I was able to book this on Orbitz, it didn't work on Expedia- these could even be highlighted with green or red to indicate success or failures). This would give readers have a quick anecdotal summary of the fare status so readers don't have to dig through the threads if they want a fast overview. That might be too messy to keep rotation of comments and make the master list too hard, but I find going through all of the fare threads highly time consuming.