MR Express - Decision time

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by adambadam, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made the mistake a few years back when I much more of a rookie at all this to sign up for the Amex Zync card (the charge card under the green card). It actually paid off for a few years as since it was new they had this focus group where I could take a few quick surveys each month and they would send me $10-15 gift cards to Amazon a handful of times per year, more than covering the annual fee. Well that program stopped, the annual fee is due and I have just over 25K MR Express points.

MR Express point, I believe, are basically the same as MR points though without the transfer partners. So now I am stuck with my decision, do I suck it up and pay the annual fee (only $25) even though I never use the card (my primary card is Chase Sapphire Pref), or do I cash in the points and then call and try to get a retention bonus or otherwise cancel? If the later what is the best thing to spend the points on? I was looking around and its seems that you were maybe getting .5 cents per point which I would prefer not to do. I believe that if I also signed up for a green card or above I could transfer the points out of MR though there are no really good signup bonus currently so I am reluctant to do that.

Any thoughts?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    At some point I'd look to move them to real MR points, whether now or in the future. Whether that means taking the best available offers now or holding out for something better is up to you and depends on your future plans. I'd rather eat the annual fee than cash them out as MR express.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consider (if you can) switching from the Zync to the Blue card which has no annual fee and also participates in the MR Express program.

That way your points never expire and cost nothing to hold on to. And in the future if you get a gold or plat card thats in the "regular" MR program, you can transfer the points out.

I've done this twice now (had about 60k points with the blue card... got a gold card for 3 years, earned many points, transferred them all out, downgraded back to blue with the remaining few points I had). Works just fine.

Might be an inq though as I'm not sure they'd just let you switch cards.

daemon14 likes this.
  4. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Second that recommendation and later if a good bonus comes up for the Premier Rewards Gold with annual fee waived first year that will be a chance to move the points to a transfer partner.

5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ending up renewing it. $25 bucks wasn't worth messing around with. Hopefully some deal comes during the year that makes it worth while to cash out.

6. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't Zync essentially free when you take small business saturday into acocunt?

7. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unofortunately I was on a plane during small business Saturday this year :p