MQMs: Direct flight shortens my options.

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelBear, Aug 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    So part of my plan to hit silver with DL this year included this trip I am starting. The gate agent asked if we wanted to take a later flight that was direct. Now, in the past I would have jumped on a direct flight offer. But doesn't she understand that doing that now would short me 500MQMs?! I actually said something along those lines to her in hopes that maybe things were tight enough she would offer me the MQMs for changing but she didn't. So we wait.

2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may be able to get "original routing credit", but that would probably be iffy. This has indications that your flight is oversold. Are you prepared to forgo the 500MQM for a $300-400 VDB?

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Direct" or "non-stop?" There is a difference (but wouldn't impact the miles either way). Unlikely you'd get ORC if you accepted an optional, accomodating schedule change.

FlyingBear likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are going AVL-ATL-LGA versus AVL-LGA.

5. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear Milepoint,

I have a confession to make.

Earlier this year, I was flying UA and gave up a connection in Houston in favor of a non-stop flight and lost at least 500 EQM in the process.

Please forgive me!

-BuckleandBoots

P.S.
    In all honesty, I have to give credit to Delta. Most flyers would jump at this opportunity (and I don't blame them) even though it's one of the 7 deadly sins in this community.

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the same thing!!! Orignial was SJC -> DFW -> LGA; but then the tornado hit and I had to get to NY so i took a SFO -> JFK direct :(

7. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's all a matter of what you need-
    time vs. mqm. vs. miles.

I personally have earned enough MQM (and starting to rollover) for the year, so I was willing to change
    LGA-MSP-LGA-MSY-LGA to LGA-MSP-MSY-LGA even tough it cut me about 1700 MQM. But, to each their own.

8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I say take a voucher and book another flight later for "free" to get the miles needed. It's only Aug and if you only need another 500 miles no big deal.

I took a bump a couple years ago on my trip home from Tampa. Took the voucher and booked another Tampa trip a few weeks later, took another bump on that one and took the cash and booked a Denver weekend. I think I ended up only paying about $500 total (out ofcpocket)for all three trips.

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't take a direct over connecting flight for free ... only for a VDB. 500 MQMs are worth maybe $40 to me. If the VDB is more than $40, then take the VDB!

You're losing out on ~662MQMs by doing AVL-LGA instead of AVL-ATL-LGA. If the VDB is good enough, I'd take that. Plus you can always ask for Original Routing Credit and see if that works out.