MQM Boost Recourse

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by ballardFlyer, Mar 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been fighting with Amex since early Jan about my last MQM boost. They are saying my year end total on my personal reserve which was over 60K on the website was not "qualified spend" which came in just under 60k on that card in their records. Their year end summary online clearly shows it as over 60K - am I supposed to be a mind reader? Total garbage.

Does anyone have any luck with getting DL to fix problems with MQM boost from Amex?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What spend is not qualified? Up to you to know fees etc don't count.

WilliamQ likes this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I understand your situation correctly, DL may not be the party to "make things right"
    You might have some luck if you appeal to Amex but it is really up to their goodwill.
    They do need to purchase the MQM from DL and the bean counters estimated that if you spend USD 60,000 with merchants that Amex gets a commission from, Amex can then "afford" to take a portion of that commission and buy you some MQM from DL.
    If you are not that far off, an appeal might work or at least a partial compromise.
    Remember, this is a goodwill case unless you have evidence they had categorised a qualified spent wrongly

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at your statements carefully to verify exactly what your qualified spend was for the calendar year? It's the posting date that seems to matter, with returns (even from January) being deducted as well as the annual fee and other fees and interest charges, if any.

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used the Amex website activity view to look at total spend throughout the year. It is accurate WRT refunds/credits, but it adds in annual fee. This isn't particularly clear unless you scroll through the little category view widget on the right side to the bottom and see the AF category at the bottom of the list. It is obscured off screen by the scrolling area by default.

I stopped spending on this card at over ~60K and change thinking I had maxed our MQM boost card and moved spend onto my BA card for its travel together pass benefit.

But since the website included the AF in the online total I missed my second 15k MQM by $100 or so.

Amex said I should download the PDF statement and read the last page of it where the "right" number is reflected. That's fine, but I don't get paper statements for a reason.

At this point DLs other no-notice changes in 2015 have alienated me so much that I don't care about MQMs anyway. Will fly them only when required.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  6. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I don't think AMEX is going to be too impressed with the whole "I thought I made it so I switched to using a better card because I figured I got all I could from you" explanation.

Perhaps next time you should verify that you actually made the requirements and get confirmation before you demonstrate your "loyalty".

7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't care if Amex is impressed. There was not enough time at end of year to get confirmation before spending window closed.

I won't get the second boost - fine, but they should have the website display or reflect qualified spend whether in place of the current total spend figure or as a separate line item.

And I don't have loyalty towards DL - I did not mention that word as it is not appropriate for them.

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    the equivalent citi aa card does not have an easily accessible ytd spend tracker at all. It's easy to break out fees from the amex tracker to exclude them when checking. It would be wholly inappropriate to change the display to this as the main purpose is not to be a "scorecard" but rather a financial tracking tool. It "adds" the annual fee...because you spent the money!

Honestly I find these threads looking for "recourse" when the person clearly screwed up a bit entitled. If you're seeking a favor or exception just be up front about that.

And why cut things so close in the first place?

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I said I missed the boost due to a misunderstanding and this thread was to find out if anyone else had an exception granted to them for similar reasons.

I'm sure you've never made a mistake and asked if an exception is possible.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The attitude and language in your first post speaks for itself.

Fighting
    "They are saying"
    Mind-reader
    "total garbage"
    "Fix problems"

Those do not convey "I am asking for an exception!"

11. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    Well, if you don't have any loyalty, then you should not act so upset.

Besides, the loyalty I was referring to was with AMEX; the only reason for that "loyalty" was to get some "loyalty" benefit from DL who does not deserve any loyalty, according to you.