MP movie reviews

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jetsfan, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jetsfan
    Original Member

jetsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that school is lightening up a bit, I've had time to catch up on a bunch of movies (recent and old).

I've watched these movies over the last couple of weeks:

The Town-this is a good movie. It was very long and I think that kind of killed it. However, I really liked the mixture of drama and action and romance.

Black Swan-I was pretty disappointed by this movie. I've talked to a lot of people that liked it and convinced me to watch it, but I just couldn't see why people that it was such a good movie. Maybe I didn't get the hidden meaning or something, but I was thoroughly unimpressed especially due to the praise it received from others.

127 Hours-The only reason I decided to watch this was because the guy who it's based on is the speaker at our graduation. It's a cool story, but doesn't make for a great movie. I think it'd be a lot more interesting to read the book.

Red-Just another cookie-cutter action movie. 'nuff said

Inception-great movie all around. Cool story, very good acting, cool special effects, and I really love movies that make you think. This is without a doubt the best movie I've seen on this list.

Invictus-I really liked this movie. Morgan Freeman was great for the role. I wish I understood a little more about Rugby so I could have followed that part a little better.

Social Network-great movie and the fact that it's based on a true story makes it even better. This movie is in a close running with Invictus for second on this list.

Inglorious Basterds-I really enjoyed this movie, but compared with most of the others on the list, it doesn't really compete. I would place it just behind The Town in terms of rankings.

Seven Pounds- I really like Will Smith and think he did a great job in this movie. That being said, I didn't think the movie was that great. I just thought the concept was kind of stupid and I didn't like editing either.

Silence of the Lambs-ya, I know it's an old movie, but for some reason I hadn't seen it until now. I thought it was pretty good. I'd probably rank this around the middle of this list.

Fargo-again, I know it's old, but I'm going to law school at UMN so I felt like I had to see it. I enjoyed the movie. It was funny, and Buschemi is always great.
    ---

Now, on my to-do list:
    The King's Speech-I really want to watch this and it will probably be the next movie I watch
    Toy Story 3-I've heard from some that this was good and from others that it wasn't worth watching at all so I'm still debating whether to watch it.
    Thank You For Smoking-I've heard this was hilarious, but it hasn't really jumped out at me.
    I Love you Philip Morris-Jim Carrey is one of my favorite actors so I have to see this even though I have heard mixed reviews.

What are your thoughts on these movies? Do you have any other recent movies that you would recommend?

AmericanGirl likes this.
  2. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great list.

We don't rent too often, but recently saw Red. It was entertaining for a couple of mindless hours.

I am thinking we really need to see Inception. Looks a bit spooky, and I don't really do spooky, but I like your review.

Definitely want to see The King's Speech.

Funny about Social Network. When we went to rent, we had SN and Red trying to decide which and the gal at Family Video said Red. Now need to go back to get SN.

Honestly, so many of the movies mentioned at the Oscars I have never even heard of. Thanks for starting this thread!