MP is slow

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by kiwi, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    As with many MPM (mile point members) I travel a lot and use lots of different computers and connections to access MP and other sites.

Having tried MP on several computers/networks I find it is consistently a lot slower than FT. This includes post the server change last night.

I hope performance improves. So far I've been using good fast computers, but sometimes in my travels I have to use not so good ones, and also MP is still very small. If we take current performance, add a higher load and access from worse connections then I think MP will be so slow as to be unusable.

I hope I'm wrong on this.

magic111, Travelman, 2soonold and 3 others like this.
  2. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even before the server change, I think the additional fancy graphics and stuff will keep it slower than FT.

Travelman and JALPak like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but Randy's response to comments made previously by others was it would be fixed by the new server. It hasn't (at least for me) hence a new thread (the other threads state [answered] in the title).

I may be alone in my thinking, but I had hoped a site for frequent travellers (or travelers) would be accessible to them when they travel.

4. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has slowed down a little, since the server change. Hopefully staff are looking at this, testing, and addressing this for now and the launch/future growth.

5. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be a bit slower. My experience has been that server changes eventually lead to faster speed but initially there are bugs to work out. The process is not a simple as it would seem to be. At least that is the story I get from the IT guys.

6. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, I see. I was asleep when they brought it back on line so I still haven't done any heavy duty browse & post (& like) stuff yet... lemme see how it is as the day goes on.

Chimpy, Travelman and JALPak like this.
  7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I notice it's a bit slower since the maintenance too. I will give it some time

Chimpy and Travelman like this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly enough I am finding it faster today ... unsure why.

Chimpy and Travelman like this.
  9. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    it even affects other windows that I have open in a way that I cant even open those other window while MP hijacks my browser every time I hit next

Travelman likes this.
  10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    We are in the process of identifying the differences in our new environment and what needs to be tuned at this point. The change allowed us a greater amount of flexibility to grow without having to change again, but it does require some tuning. So expect some additional tweeking all week long. Thanks.

Chimpy, KIXman and JALPak like this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like some Javascript is sucking up all the CPU. Most likely this would be ad code, see whether this happens when you have specific ads displayed on the site.

secretsea18 likes this.
  12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    And the IT guys whether here or anywhere all say the same thing, or so it seems. Sort of beng like a mechanic—they seem to always be tinkering for more speed.

Chimpy, BondAir007 and Westsox like this.
  13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't seem any different. At least not noticable, in either direction.

14. PSUhorty
    Original Member

PSUhorty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like the OP, I sure hope this place speeds up. It is practically unreadable when browsing on my smart phone… which is where I do roughly half of my browsing from. FT is considerably faster- and add to that FT’s iPhone app. From my laptop, FT is considerably faster also.
    If MP doesn’t speed up, it will be rendered practically useless to me since, again, half of my browsing is from my iPhone.

15. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm interested in how scalable the architecture is for MiPo... with the site feeling slow to many already with low loads I'm hoping at least the architecture is built to scale once we exist beta... otherwise this could get painful very quickly.

Also I'm still occasionally finding issues with the flash components on the site!

16. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i have had no issues viewing from my iPhone today. it seems to load just fine with no discernible lag-time. seems to load just as fast on my mac and netbook, too. *shrugs*

17. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I am half-way around the world ... logged in from a desktop on a fast network connection ... and MP is incrediby slow today [​IMG]

secretsea18 likes this.
  18. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am currently in Manila PI. Since the server cutover, I have gotten frequent "server did not respond in time" messages for "likes" as well as for posting. There is a definite and noticeable slowdown on MP since the cutover. I really hope the situation is corrected soon, as I can't even access other addresses, like my email or weather when I have open tabs with MP.

Travelman likes this.
  19. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I am getting today is so-o-o-o-o many "Server did not respond in time"s that I am leaving for now[​IMG]

20. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As if right now the MP engine blew up over the weekend. The sever engine was a Ferrari. So the crew has found and dust off a engine from a CLASSIC old sever engine from a YuGo! [​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find this very odd as I am at home on a DSL connection and seeing no issues at all [​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  22. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    its not select threads or ads, it is each and every time I hit Post, back, click on a new thread, pretty much each and every time I try to move from the thread that i'm currently on

guaranteed that the moment I hit Post Reply, this post will hijack my browser

edited to add; yes it did hijack my browser

23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not seeing this. Which browser/operating system are you using?

24. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Runs well on Chrome on Linux over ADSL2M as far as I can see. Runs like a wombat with a broken leg on Safari on an iPhone over 3G, though :(

Chimpy likes this.
  25. There is a lot of processing done on you client computer when you post.

What is you Browsers software and operating system?

Chimpy likes this.