MP is sloooow

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by kiwi, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The past wee while MP is being slow to load pages. [​IMG]

2. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi kiwi, I think that I have read somewhere that this beta does not run on servers that would ultimately run the production, so that might be one reasons. But honestly, just went to post with two pictures and my www experience changed to wait, wait, wait and even more wait experience. While I like some new features, I am bit worried that this is going too far into "Web 2" realm and that it is becoming bandwidth hungry bloatware. There are many things that I like, but also many that I do not like - e.g. gigantic confirmation of making thread read, unbelievably slow and complicatee "open quick navigation" (oh how I like the pull downs on FT). I have already mentioned that I am sort of web purist and I still mourn the old good Netscape and times when html was html... But hey, we have to follow the trends, don't we?

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some investigation later and it appears to be certain ads causing problems [​IMG]

JALPak likes this.
  4. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using tabs (which I always do a lot) is causing speed and freezing issues too on both IE8 and FireFox on my W7 Enterprise x32.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I discovered that issue for myself a couple of days ago. Since then I have just 2 MP tabs open at any one time. Pages without ads load fine. It is the ads causing slow - can even see the load stall at the banner ad, then again at the ad at bottom of the page.

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that you mention it I have noticed it too :eek:

7. Fast enough for me on OSX.. but I have a 100mb line, perhaps thats why??

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a fast connection. Ads are hanging.

9. nope.. page flipping is fast and I just up loaded 4-5 photos in a hotel review, all good.

10. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tested this, and it's happening for me in Chrome (which has Flash enabled) but not Safari (my main browser, in which I disabled Flash). I highly recommend disabling Flash in your main browser -- it's sped my 18-month-old computer up immensely.

11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really haven't had any problems, but then I am using Chrome on a Win 7 laptop with an ad blocking extension

12. willyroo
    Original Member

willyroo Active Member

Status Points:
    MP runs very nicely down in sunny Brisbane - although I tend to access it outside the LOTFAP hours. Firefox with AdBlock Plus is a must, I don't see any ads.

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know there are ads. Allegedly. I've never seen them. I'm using Firefox and I've explicitly turned AdBlock Plus off for this site and any other I wish to support regularly. I've even tried the site in Chrome and IE with no adblockers but I never see ads! I don't even know where on the page they materialize.

14. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it 'bad' to use adblock and not see any ads, thus lowering profits for the site?

15. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am having the same issue with ad slowing down the load of the page. I would have "liked" kiwi's post but I wouldn't want it misinterpreted to think I "liked" the slow load he reported. [​IMG]