MP 1K members get favorable treatment on Asiana

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Sep 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My impression is that other airlines usually treat UA gold, platinum and 1K members the same, since the label on the boarding pass simply says "UA*G" but I have, in fact, received VIP treatment on a number of recent Asiana flights, including one upgrade to Business class (SGN to ICN), and on others, the chief purser coming directly to me after I get seated to greet me. On today's flight, I was also offered an exit row rather than my earlier assigned seat further back in the plane.

Has anyone else using Asiana or another Star Alliance partner notice something similar to this?

Hey, I'm not complaining. I love it!!

iolaire and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My one flight on OZ, between ICN and PEK seated in Y, the purser did come back to greet me. I had a similar experience on LH on a long haul, again in Y. Never an upgrade, or swap to exit seat.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I just reported here, I was offered an exit row seat on TAP Portugal for my LIS-LHR flight last week, which turned into a complimentary Y to C upgrade at the gate during boarding...;)

TAP-LIS-LHR.jpg

However, there is insufficient data to conclude that the complimentary upgrade was due to the fact that I am a UA 1K rather than a Gold or Plat. As you can see on the BP, it does not say 1K anywhere. All it says is UA*G, which it would say for a BP issued to a Gold or a Plat. In fact, a LH lounge gate agent at FRA had told me that all the info he had about me was that I was a *G, and that he had no idea whether I was a 1K, Plat or Gold...

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an observation, you might want to blank out the barcode in your image, I was just able to read/decode it with <not gonna say in public>.

5. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I cannot speak about Asiana, I have noticed that Mesa, Express Jet and Skywest extend extra goodies like a Hemisphere magazine and complimentary non-alcoholic beverages. I knew my 1K status was going to be great.:p*

*Folks, this is just a touch of levity.

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have gotten a op-up on LH to JNB that was pretty nice.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Done, thank you! BTW, what is encoded in that barcode, anyway (just generally what is in it and not the specifics)?

8. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lastname/Firstname/PNR/flightorigin/flightdestination/operatingcarrier/flightnumber/frequentflyernumber/status/encoded part about precheck.

That's a good start, anyway.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL.:). So, it was all there despite my blocking out the human readable stuff!

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are enough tech consultants on MP that the line between "human-readable" and machine-readable" is probably meaningless. ;)

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

NYCUA1K and COFreqFlyer like this.
  11. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:

Well I am doing LHR-LIS on TAP so I will be able to add another data point to the list.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No doubt!:D

I hope it is a positive data point, meaning that you'll get the complimentary upgrade.:)

13. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew on Asiana the other day from Gimpo to KIX. At the check-in counter the agent clearly said, "Oh, you are Star Alliance Gold. We can upgrade you to Business class." So that settles it. For OZ, at least, UA*G is enough to do the trick, space permitting, of course. Once aboard, by the way, I was surprised to see that one of the F/As was my former student!

dstober likes this.
  14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Op-ups do happen to *Gs. I have no idea if they're always due to full Y cabins or if some airlines just do it when the J cabin is a bit light.

I've gotten two in my life: one on TK from IST-IAD and one on US from somewhere in the caribbean to CLT. That's not a lot, but both were appreciated.

15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once got a free upgrade LAX-PHX-SJO on US when my fare was a ridiculously low $156.00 including taxes! On my next identically routed flight, the fare went up $10, and I was offered a TOD of $200, which I accepted without hesitation. The only bad news is that I haven't seen those fares repeat in the last three years, so I have opted for UA LAX-IAH-SJO.

Because of those two cheap fares, I learned to always check *A before booking anywhere. I haven't found anything close since then, but those flights saved me time and money.

16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only received favorable treatment as a *G on LH twice when I was booked on a YCA fare to India and they were overbooked in Y. Otherwise I don't really get any special recognition except when flying Air New Zealand but I'd be in BusinessPremier already.

17. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you were really nice (and booked early enough), they gave you F seating on the Kenjet (aka 12A ;))

Gtitan and Flyer1976 like this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that seat is now officially 18A. :D

19. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ho Lee Fuk that's a nice treat!

20. jonk
    Original Member

jonk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Additional data point: op-up to business on LH FRA-SFO on new year's day as a platinum but haven't noticed anything different on any other flights this year with many partners. Oh, a couple years ago ATH-YYZ on AC got reseated in the BarcaLounger business seats (with economy service) at check-in, likely tied to *G.

I'm curious as to how often this happens on an award ticket vs revenue. I'd assume a lot less frequently if at all?