Moving Walkways at EWR ( Terminal C)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, Jul 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of these are out of service, some of them have been removed / cordoned off. C is a huge terminal, does anyone know what kind of renovations are going on / when these moving walkways will be back.

Thanks. To walk from one end of C to the other takes 30 - 45 minutes, assuming not jogging / running.

2. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the high numbered gates, it looks like they're putting in a rather large bar/pub right next to where the moving sidewalks are. As far as the other ones are concerned, I hadn't really noticed they were out of service since I rarely use them (always good to get the legs some exercise before/after a flight).

3. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fitness__________Friendly :rolleyes:

Dublin_rfk, rggale, ssullivan and 3 others like this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The moving walkways between C and A at DFW have been down for 2 years or so. I used to like bouncing up and down on the rubber walkway manufactured by Dunlop! I don't recall any walk through EWR where there wasn't maintenance being performed on a walkway.

rggale and Garp74 like this.
  5. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    They seem to be installing a few of these bars. Kinda funny IMO because they want to push more connecting traffic with the PS move but removing these moving walkways.

6. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    30-45 minutes? Really? If it takes you that long, I honestly suggest you flag down one of those guys that yells "CAAAAART" or "BEEP BEEP". It's MAYBE 15 minutes to walk, at a comfortable casual pace, from the end of C1 pier to the end of C3 pier.

CGK, ella and mtbroxs like this.
  7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. I've made it all the way from one end of that terminal to the other in less than 20 minutes quite a few times without breaking a sweat or running.

This thread also made me realize I haven't set foot in EWR in about a year. :eek:

rggale likes this.
  8. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:

I dare say it you had to walk all the way from the Tel Aviv / Hong Kong / Mumbai gates the one end of C at C128, all the way to the other end of the C terminal, C88 for example, it will take you longer than 20 minutes.

I would say at least 30-35, if not 40 minutes, walking at a leisurely pace, without using the moving walkways. My estimate is without using the moving walkways, which apparently is going away.

Its a very huge terminal. Probably twice the size of Delta at JFK T4. Needless to say, I am not surprised UA hasn't come public yet about the removal the moving walkways to be replaced by retail outlets, i.e a bar.

The moving walkways were a time saver, and comfort tool.
    Talk about a "Flyer Friendly move"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Pizzaman likes this.
  9. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fitness friendly.

I will time it for you next week (C138 to C88) using no walkways and let you all know the total elapsed time. I will also make sure to walk in 18" strides to accommodate the traveler with even the shortest legs.

ssullivan likes this.
  10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a "Beer Garden" under construction right where the moving walkway near gates 131 and 121 are. They appear to be keeping the walkway closer to the main terminal building. I hope they do since that is a spot where there is a bit of a grade to the concourse. The moving walkways near gates 71 through 90 were still in place as of last Sunday, but I did not notice if they were working.

11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done it. It doesn't take me anywhere close to that long. And I've made connections of that distance in that terminal in less than 25 minutes without running or using the moving sidewalks (the ones at EWR are too narrow to pass slow pokes and standers) on several occasions.

rggale likes this.
  12. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one that is disturbed by the fact that UA though its proxy is ripping up all the moving walkways at EWR and replacing them with retail?

40 minutes or 25 minutes, we can al agree its a long walk, made easier by the moving walkway, now removed

Presumably the moving walkways have fully depreciated and replacing them is too much of a cap ex. Also its valuable space that does not earn revenue.

13. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they should put in "sky lifts", ski-lift like gondalas to carry people above the beer gardens and other retail they're putting in place of moving sidewalks there :D

14. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer_____Friendly

Dublin_rfk and Weatherboy like this.
  15. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    And staff them with wantabes or FA's in training:D

16. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member