Moving Up from Red Eye Flight to AM flight

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sean Colahan, Oct 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have moved up to an earlier flight many times for free (I am US Chairmans, but never to a flight this early. I am currently booked on the Sunday night 10:30pm red-eye from SFO to PHL and Ian considering tying to grab the 6:15 am on Sunday morning to PHL to get home earlier than I was planning on. Will I be able to move up to that flight w/o any cost to myself? Their website says you can MoveUp to a flight within 6 hours before originally scheduled light (where all my previous move-ups have occurred) but don't know where I stand with moving up to a flight 11 hours earlier.

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was US gold I "moved up" twice to two flights to get around the "6 hr from current flight limit" one day, but that may have been a fluke that they let it go. I didn't call it to attention and used two diff agents - one for each move. YMMV but you're chairmans so that is on your side. Good luck!

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish that like with UA, one could move forward and on the phone (i.e. book an early flight take a later one) without going to airport.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't want to go to the airport for a 6:15 am flight, especially on the weekend, unless I were able to confirm a seat before setting the alarm clock.

viguera likes this.
  5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get in the night before at 10:30 pm (have a hotel booked or might just crash in the terminal) and my plans fell through for Sunday and I would rather be at the airport for a 6:15 am flight and be home to see my wife for dinner than wait for a later flight. That and first is still looking wide open for that flight so upgrade a possibility as well.

6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think as soon as I get off the plane the night before (MileageRun weekend) I might ask the agent at the gate to either move me up to the 6am or move me to the 1pm flight (the next earliest US flight out of SFO from the Red-eye), then if I can only move to the 1pm flight show up in the AM and try and get on the 6:15am.

...Whatever it takes to get home sooner to see and have dinner with my lovely wife.

Pizzaman likes this.
  7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best of luck!

Hopefully you get a sympathetic agent.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Talked to the woman at the US Club in PHL before heading out to SFO. She looked at the loads for flights tomorrow and they are wide open in the am. Her best suggestion was to call the Chairmans Desk when I get to SFO and have them work their magic. Fingers crossed.

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: Called Chairmans desk after landing in SFO. Won't change my flight unless I pay $200 change fee and $128 fare difference. Only change flights up to 6 hours prior (which no flights exist). Just got new AmEx plat card w $200 airline reimbursable expenses. Do I confirm change tonight or try and sweet talk my way on in the AM and if fail, the, pay up.

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Morning sweet talk didn't work. Agent wanted to but computer wouldn't let her. Ended up paying to change...anything that will get me home sooner to see my sweetheart.

11. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah that might be the diff - there was no midday flight option to temporarily move too so you could move again. Or I got lucky. Either way glad you're getting home either way - wives appreciate that ;)

Sean Colahan likes this.
  12. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    So am I:D