Moving to New Zealand in November :) Q's?

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Oct 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone, forgot to post this here...

I'm moving to New Zealand mid November on a one year working holiday visa.

This is my third WHP trip with Australia (2009) and Singapore (2011) just completed. This has been a lot of fun in the past and I'm really looking forward to having a great time again.

I'm flying into Auckland and that's where I'd like to base myself for the duration of the trip. I'm curious where's a good place to look for work and places to rent accommodation. Any tips, advice, etc. would be appreciated.

My goal also is to fly about the south pacific as much as I can. Besides Air New Zealand, JetStar and Virgin Australia what other airlines offer budget flights? What's a cheap way to get to/from the airport?

I need to find travel insurance that will cover me for the duration of the stay, what options do I have? How expensive will it be?

I know I can and have Googled a lot of this info already, but answers from posts like these always point out something new that I haven't even thought of, so that's the reason I'm posting this.

Many thanks for your help.

--Russ

NYBanker and MissBurrill like this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the line of work you're looking for, Auckland may or may not be the best bet for work opportunities. Auckland is the most convenient for travel overseas, with limited options from other centres.

Jetstar is only domestic, Australia & Singapore. To get to the South Pacific islands you have Air NZ (widest network), Pacific Blue - both offering reasonably low fares; and national carriers (all full service airlines) - Aircalin, Air Vanuatu, Air Pacific (Fiji) with good network via NAN, Air Tahiti Nui.

Cheapest way between downtown Auckland and the airport is by regular bus, but this is not recommended as it involves long detour via Manukau and connections that aren't designed to offer seamless transit. Airbus is next cheapest, then shuttles, with taxis far more expensive (for 1 or 2 people).

scti.co.nz offers NZ inwards travel insurance.

NYBanker and TrueBlueFlyer like this.
  3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can you recommend a bank and SIM card options?

Any opportunities to earn frequent flyer miles for everyday purchases beyond the spending on my American cards?

4. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Huge thanks to wijomas for being extremely helpful on my first day in Auckland!

Picked me up from the airport, shown me around, took me to get a SIM card and open a bank account. And even found a cheap place for me to stay in the CBD. Amazing!!!

Thank you, thank you thank you!!!

kiwi likes this.