Moving to Japan this year

Discussion in 'Asia' started by taiwaned, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being a second generation Japanese, I can speak converational Japanese without any problem. Communication is no problem however I am illiterate in Japanese. I have started to memorize my katagana and hiragana on my own and characters seem very similiar to the Mandarin characters I have been studying for the past 5 years or so.
    Planning to move to the Ashiya, Nishinomiya area of Japan. (between Kobe and Osaka) Anybody have any recommendations for adult Japanese schools for foreigners? Or where I can find a competant tutor?

LXofSweden and KIXman like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're moving for work, they should have recommendations and might be willing to pay.

3. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    No not for work. Elder care. In laws are in need of some assistance.

PAinNY and IMGone like this.
  4. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a friend who lives in Tokyo, also second-generation working as a teacher. If you'd like, PM me and I can try and set you guys up for lessons. He is completely fluent.

Woops, forgot the part about Nishinomiya. He lives in Tokyo, but could probably teach via Skype.

5. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi taiwaned!!! I live in Kobe so that's great news to me! It'll be great to know that there's another MPer living nearby :)

Right now we have some new foreigners who just entered our company and we gave them 2 months of Japanese lessons in a place in the Sannomiya area. They took up reading and writing Japanese characters as well but of course are still in the process of learning. I'll check out the name of the place and the price and let you know. Incidentally I studied at a place called "Seido Language Institute" in Ashiya, but at that time it was mostly focused on conversational Japanese. The kanji I had to pick up on my own.

taiwaned likes this.
  6. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    taiwaned, the Japanese Language school where we sent our new employees is called Communica Institute
    http://www.communica-institute.org/en/index.html

They had a 100hrs specially designed course that cost about 140,000 yen. With the help of this course they're speaking introductory level Japanese and also reading / writing the kana and also some kanji as well. I'm sure they should have cheaper prices for standard courses

LXofSweden and taiwaned like this.
  7. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is exacty what I am looking for. When I get to Japan, will most certainly look into this place. Thank you.