Moving to Android (G2) from a BB

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by IMGone, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a huge difference, for me at least, from the BB I'm currently using to the G2 I just bought and will make official in the near future (need to line up work email and save information, etc first). I knew the change was coming, but TMOs any phone for free sale this weekend spurred the decision to be made right now.

I've just started playing with the phone and trying to get used to the many features include: (note that I've only had the phone for about 12 hours using it via wifi, sans a sim card for the moment and I have a ton yet to learn on this thing).

- There is a lot of background activity in the apps that aren't easy to identify. It's making me somewhat concerned for when I'd take the phone out of the country as data charges can really add up.
    - You don't close applications when you're done with them, they could remain running the background or shutdown on their own, you don't know unless you go digging to see what is running and then have to force it to shut down
    - There are a lot of apps, mostly but not all google related pre-loaded. I've tried to remove Twitter but they are pretty much embedded.

- There is no notepad function in the base software like on the bb, but there is a sticky notes function and another called notepad, as well you can get from the app store to address this need. (I'm moving my notepad items by cutting and pasting them into emails)
    - Email set up is easy enough, but while you get a notification on the top bar that you have mail, you won't know from which account without looking at the notifications or going into email to see which account has unread messages (on the bb, it would show on each mailbox). I think this can become confusing if you regularly leave unread messages in the account.
    - On the BB, you can specify what should be synchronized and which platform "wins" in a conflict, I've seen nothing like that here and believe the phone was in a rush to sync contacts from accounts that only have "trash" contact information. I'm not 100% certain about how things are being synchronized just yet.
    - Android wants to know where you are at all times. I think I've disabled the right things, but as noted above that type of function is running in the background and you just aren't aware it is tracking you (there is even a tracking app). With the advent of all the foursquare type functions/apps, apps I want no part of it. This type of functionality running without knowing is bothersome to me.
    - Whereas it seems like the iPhone is always scroll right/left and the bb has a trackball, the android scrolling feature depends on where you are. On the home screen it is right/left, but the apps list is up/down
    - The folders are available for the home screens, but you have to bring the app up from the app list (where it would always reside) onto the main screen, then move it into a folder. A different sequence of steps
    - The contact information record seems more robust on the BB than on the G2. I will need to see what ports and what I don't want to lose and would have to rekey somewhere.
    - I haven't been in the app store yet, but BB App World has been driving me crazy lately so I won't miss not using that avenue to access applications.

- All of the geographic-based functions (news/weather/location) that Android wants to support and offers seems to be better for someone staying in one place than someone moving around a lot. I need to play to see what works and what isn't so helpful in those cases.

- The typing is a new world (if you had a curve or bold with the BB keyboard). The other android phones I couldn't even come close to getting close to what I intended to type. The pull out keyboard on the G2 helps, and if I'm careful the on screen keyboard is also usable. I hope to pick up speed as I become accustomed to the new interfaces but it is a huge difference! I'm getting good at swype (don't lift between letters of a word)
    - The phone is very functional with wifi and no sim card as a browser, etc

Anyone have experiences as they leave the BB platform which newcomers to the Android world could use?

I haven't looked to see if any of my current apps are also good on Android (some are, I'm sure) but if anyone has a good metro transportation type app for major cities, I'd appreciate it. Also, a currency exchange (I'm hoping the xe one I have now is also available in android, it's great).

2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew this, but forgot it and already majorly miss it ....

On the G2, there is no cut/paste option. This is a huge loss for me and I'm hoping to find a work-around solution for it, but haven't found one yet.

3. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugh...I love my android (Samsung Vibrant) but the thing I miss most about my BB...the flashing light that let me know I had mail or that my bluetooth was connected. Seriously. I recognize that this is a simple thing, but it really was a huge conveniece. Also I really miss BBM.

4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm missing the cursor and easy cut/paste functionality. I get a lot from the apps and the Android platform, but there is a lot of functionality that was just there on the BB that I'm missing right now.

5. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and the BB typing shortcuts are a huge miss. You get use to the double spacebar for period and the auto-insert of an apostrophe.