Moving Map on AVOD - useless

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MalcoveMagnesia, Mar 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did some segments on a 767-300 ER and noticed that the "Moving Map" function on Delta's AVOD doesn't show a map whatsoever. Not at all in the various times I switched to it and watched it for a few minutes at a time.

All "Moving Map" shows is the usual "time at origin", "time at destination", "remaining flight time", "altitude" statistics, toggling between multiple languages (which is also stupid because the passenger has selected a preferred language when the screen is first turned on).

Why did Delta take away this feature? "Security" concerns?

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The toggling between multiple languages is because it's a looped channel. Which route was this? I get AVOD on a lot of domestic segments and have always seen the map.

3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 764s still show the moving map cycled in with all that data, unless they've changed something very recently.

4. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the fact "Moving Map" is a looped channel makes sense to me, but since everything else on AVOD is pretty customized (ultimately it's a tiny Linux box at each and every seat), there's no reason why it should still be a looped channel. Or toggling between multiple languages when a Spanish passenger can't read English or Dutch.

As for the segments I was on, I didn't see an actual map on either my SFO -> ATL or ATL -> SCL flights. Both of these were on 767-300 ER's.