Moving from Citi Hilton Reserve (annual fee) to Citi Hilton Signature (no annual fee)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by vickers, Jun 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello. I currently have the Citi Hilton Reserve card but I will not be keeping it. Making the 10K annual spend for the yearly fre night is difficult based on how I have my cc spend spread out.

I would like to move to the Signature card with no annual fee. My questions is how should I go about doing that?

If I open the Citi Hilton Signature card while the Reserve is open, will I qualify for the bonus points (as the Reserve granted certificates, not points) or does Citi itself only grant one bonus for Hilton?

Or should I call Citi to downgrade the card? If I do this, will I qualify for the bonus points?

Thank you.

William JLP, edekba and uggboy like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought about that but I think I could hit 10k this year so i decided not to.

In regards to downgrade ... you'll most likely not get the bonus for it. There is no incentive for HH or Citi to downgrade you & get bonus points.

I suppose you could open up the NAF Citi HHonors and once approved/bonus achieved call them to Cancel the Reserve since you don't see value in having both. Ask them to xfer the CL over ... and might improve your credit score as opposed to just canceling the account outright.

3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto that

William JLP and vickers like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you guys think ill have a pretty good chance of earning the bonus points on the Signature if I just apply for it first, then cancel the Reserve?

William JLP likes this.
  5. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got both cards, maybe a year apart, and got both bonuses. Apply for the second before closing the first. I've thought about closing the Signature and moving the credit line over to the Reserve, but haven't bothered yet, especially since the Signature is fee-free. The Reserve fee is more than made up for by the benefits, even though I don't stay in too many Hiltons. The spend for the free night is doable, too.

satman40 and vickers like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    vickers likes this.
  7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh wow NYCUA1K.. I just read through your thread..... What a hassle.. Good thing you were watching your points. Does that happen domestically also, or only at international properties.. Funny thing is, the transaction actually says Hilton..... I can understand the mistake once.... But you have an ongoing issue.

But no issue with AMEX one, huh? :)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has not happened to me domestically because I use the AMEX Surpass (12 points/$) for stays in the US, since there is no foreign transaction fee -- the only reason why I even bother using the Citi Reserve is that it does not have this fee. Not once has the AMEX failed to award me the correct number of points. I would also use it internationally except that my folios tend to be relatively large and would thus carry a hefty foreign transaction fee. Therefore, my strategy has been to use the Citi Reserve abroad and the AMEX in the US.
    Yup, Citi's schtick has been to blame it on Hilton for not providing the correct "merchant code". But does it require a doctorate degree to determine that a property named Hilton Milan is a Hilton property? Moreover, if the merchant provides the wrong code, why doesn't AMEX also screw things up the same way? The conclusion is that Citi withholds points intentionally, hoping the customers won't notice, which would fatten their bottom line because they would then avoid paying Hilton for all the points that they do not award...wicked!

vickers likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Amex has a Hilton Credit Card, give them a run, this is about points.

vickers likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEX has two HHonors co-branded cards: the no-annual fee and the Surpass ($95 AF).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    satman40 and vickers like this.
  11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking about AMEX, but they have been stingy with me. I have tried to get their cards for some time now, but havent been able to. I was amazed I was approved for the SPG AMEX, but they only have me 2K credit limit. Citi gave me 7K on my Reserve card.... Plus, Im holding out for that AMEX Platinum. ;)

satman40 likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex gives the SPG out easy, but once you get in the door they will move your CL around, you can also ask for an increase,

Never had the Platinum, have had the MB, and United high dollar card, I have sleep at a Holiday Inn, :)...also have 3 $450.00 AA Ex Cards...:D

othermike27 and vickers like this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the no-fee HHonors AMEX for a long time. Then a couple of years ago, I decided to upgrade to the Surpass to take advantage of 12points/$ at Hilton properties. The upgrade was approved and the account number and everything else, except the card name, stayed the same as for the NAF card. To my surprise, I earned 50K HHonors points with the upgrade, which was the sign up bonus at the time, meaning that the upgrade was treated also as a first-time sign up, which was nice... ;)

vickers likes this.
  14. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have failed in the past to have Citi transfer the available credit limit when closing a card.

15. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just closed my Citi HH Reserve card, which was coming up for renewal in a couple months. Only minimum spend on the card. CSR offered no incentive to keep the card, nor did he offer to downgrade it. I specifically asked whether the CL could be moved to another Citi card I hold, and he said he was not able do that. I cancelled without poking any further, since that was my plan unless I received a strong retention offer. I gave the rep plenty of chances to make a retention offer or pass me off to somebody who could, but no response from him. I did not bother with a HUCA, since the card overlapped with my AMEX HH Surpass, which now offers HH/Gold every year you hold it instead of just the first (the main reason I took the Citi card).

Like NYCUA1K, I rationalized holding both cards by using the Surpass for domestic Hilton spend (more points), and the Citi Reserve card at international Hiltons (EMV and no FTF). But unlike NYCUA1K, I do only 1-2 international trips a year and often stay at non-Hilton properties. So, I can run up about $700 at international Hilton locations, pay AMEX their 2.7% FTF and $75 AF, and still come out ahead of the Citi $95 annual fee. AMEX seems to be responding to the competition from Citi: they added the every-year Gold benefit and EMV chip. So, to eliminate the overlap and an extra AF, the AMEX Surpass works for me.

OP, I recognize that all this doesn't help your situation if AMEX has been stingy about extending credit to you. Satman gave you good advice above: work your SPG card to build credit history with AMEX, maybe request a CL increase or two, and look to parlay that into other AMEX cards. But be patient - look beyond just the next year or two to get where you want to be.

NYCUA1K and vickers like this.