Moving Credit Limits

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by privateer, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please post your experiences with being allowed to move limits and/or consolidate cards.

FIA - Allows you to move limits between cards
    Chase - Does not allow you to move limits between cards
    Citi - Transfers when approved for new card
    Amex - transfers when approved for new card

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read that many folks who have applied for the Hyatt VISA have been able to move credit from their existing Chase cards over to the new Hyatt card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Penfed will move limits to a new card if one is denied.

I was initially denied for AMEX & they would have move some of the limit of my Visa. I asked for recon based on incorrect income on application (I forgot to include rental income) and with satisfactory proof from me, I got the AMEX with a nice limit.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for the Chase Hyatt CC are few weeks ago. The representative offered to lower my Chase Amazon CC credit limit so she could offer me a much higher credit limit on the Hyatt branded card. Since I never use my Amazon card and planned to use the Hyatt card on a regular basis this worked very well for me.

jbcarioca and kenbo like this.
  5. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me rephrase - the chase lending department will not let you arbitrarily ask to re-allocate your credit limit.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Citi allowed me to reallocate my existing credit lines so I could be approved for the AA Visa last year. I'm not sure if they'd allow moving credit lines if I hadn't applied for a new card.

jbcarioca and byroncheng like this.
  7. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same experience - they offered move of credit lines, but I declined since what they could offer on the new card was enough for the bonus.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. was able to transfer most of the limit from my jetblue amex to my new spg amex over the phone a few days ago. was asked for my annual income, but got approved over the phone and told my account would be updated in 15 minutes.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. friedice
    Original Member

friedice Active Member

Status Points:
    Barclays allows transferring CLs, even from personal to biz and vice versa.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do we know if re-allocation requires hard pulls for any of these?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not for Amex or Citi cards from my personal experience, but YMMV

jbcarioca and neil like this.
  12. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I miss the old days of Amex allowing online re-allocation of credit limits... Chase and Citi have both re-allocated limits when applying for a new card within the last 6 months. Over the years, I have never had a hard credit pull for this from any of the companies I use (Amex, Citi, Chase)

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reallocation from almost all issuers is done using the last periodic update (usually 1x per cycle) rather than a hard pull. There is no basis for a hard pull since no new credit is applied for or extended. NO YMMV about it. If they extend an extra penny of new credit a hard pull will happen, but not for a simple reallocation.

kenbo and neil like this.
  14. both Chase and Penfed will allow you to move limits. Have done it with both.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Makes perfect sense.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. I used to have a Hilton Amex card-I just cancelled it because they would not transfer CL from starwood Amex.
    I tried several different times to move some of my $30000 CL to my Hilton-which only had $2000. I really wanted to start racking up some more Hilton pnts-but it is hard to do that with only $2000 CL.
    So I give up on Hilton-for now. Maybe they will have some fantastic offering soon to entice me back?

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. I reallocated my credit from one chase card to another last year and it wasn't an issue. No hard pulls, no problem moving my available credit to the other card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    When closing a card if I have to from the same issuer will they allow me to move all my CL from the closed card to the one I am keeping open in order to not have a loss on my credit utilization?

Lyssa and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the issuer. Some will do that, some not. It is best to call them before you close and ask if you can move the limit to the remaining card.

Lyssa likes this.
  20. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great idea. I have an old Chase Slate card that I got for the 0% interest years ago and I haven't used in forever. I just got the Chase CO card and I want to close the Slate. I should see if I can move the credit limit over. I don't think I will go that high on the Chase (they gave me an $18,000 limit) but that way my total credit with Chase would be the same. So in the future when I apply for the Southwest card (I'm hoping some better promos come out for it) I can maybe then move some of that credit over and I won't have so many card with them.

Thanks for this idea!!!!

goheerow and jbcarioca like this.
  21. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, I know Bank of America does this. I had two BofA cards for my university and they merged them into one with a high limit. I don't even use that one anymore but I have to keep it since it's my oldest card from back in college. Which I probably should buy something on it soon so it doesn't get closed down from non-use.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I figured I would have to call for it anyway.

No problem, glad I could help.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know how this worked out for you, but I just moved a CL over from my old Slate card that I, like you, haven't used in years to a new Freedom card. Technically, I didn't qualify for any bonus promos since the card number remains the same and it's not considered a new acct., but the rep gave me 10k Ultimate Rewards points after $500 in spend as a good faith bonus. Chase is good in my book.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Same experience here - they've let me move without a new application and also allowed some movement with a new application.

25. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    setup a $1 recurring donation every 5 months to a charity. I use the Alameda County Community Food Bank for this with cards that I don't use much or when I'm short a debit trans or two at the end of checking account cycle.

goheerow likes this.