Moved to Singapore - UA status expiring - what FF program to get on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by samlim, Dec 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. samlim

samlim Active Member

Status Points:
    Obvious choice is Singapore Airlines, but I don't like the two-tier system (regular Krisflyer vs PPS) since I probably won't fly enough business-class to make PPS. What are other options? Are there other options? Would prefer to stay in Star Alliance...

Any advice welcome!!

2. jetland

jetland Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not stay with UA and deposit SA mileage there? Both UA and Singapore are Star Alliance.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before deciding, check earnings rates for the fare classes you are likely to use.

Aegean might make sense as a way to maintain *Gold and at least have access to the *Gold lounge at SIN (not the SilverKris lounge unless you're flying in a premium cabin).

iolaire likes this.
  4. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are just looking for * Gold status then Aegean might be the way to go. Silver at 4000 miles, gold at 20000
    If you are looking for perks and upgrades on an airline you might actually fly, Thai Airways has excellent route system in Asia, but only 1 location (LAX) in US. 10000 miles to silver, 50000 to gold, though status is good for 2 full years.
    Asiana also offers 2 years of status, and has more flights to US, but can be annoying to deal with for redemptions (one friend complained they had to send fax copy of photo id) 20000 silver, 40000 gold. Once you qualify for status you have 2 year time frame to renew
    ANA is more revenue based program and many discounted fares only earn 50%-70% miles flown, so even though I live in Japan I don't collect miles with them.
    Just my general thoughts, hope it helps.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aegean gives you 2,000 miles currently as a sign up bonus, so you only need 2,000 for Silver and 18,000 for Gold provided roughly that you get status within the first year (to prevent those miles from expiring).