Motorola Xoom wifi version

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by jason8612, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a few days the motorola xoom is coming out with the wifi version.
    I found costco and b&h photo to have it on sale for $600.
    It's not a bad price (would love to get it under $500 though)

Is anyone going to pick one up?

doc and Funtodoimpossible like this.
  2. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    $599 appears to be the standard price that everyone is selling it for, at least right out of the gate. I have one on order from Amazon.com. Using regular shipping I should get it between 3/31 and 4/4. Although they do have a warehouse the next town over so it is very possible I will have it on Tuesday.
    It offically launches on 3/27, but there have been a number of reports that Staples physical stores have been selling it early.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, something doesn't feel right with the Motorola Xoom. They've delayed this a bit, and I heard you have to physically return the device to get the 4G capability installed (maybe that's outdated information, I don't know).

I think the Xoom is going to be like the iPad, set at one price (at least a minimum price) everywhere.

If you're looking at getting it, you might want to get to via Costco. It's only $10 cheaper than over-the-counter, but if I recall correctly, through Costco, you get a feel gel case with it.

Side note: I absolutely love Costco, which might be another thread in a different forum. But, if you don't like the Xoom, you're more likely to get a very friendly return policy (BUT, check that policy, as it might be for a brief time, 90 days).

Funtodoimpossible likes this.
  4. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:

from their site
    THE RETURN POLICY FOR TELEVISIONS, PROJECTORS, COMPUTERS, CAMERAS, CAMCORDERS, IPODS / MP3S, AND CELLULAR PHONES IS 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

I might just pick it up in store in a month or so..

5. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you get the Wifi+3G version of the Xoom, that is still accurate.

Unfortunately if you aren't a member there is a 5% surcharge to purchase it through their website. :( But if you are a member, it is a fantastic deal since the gel case has been selling for anywhere between $15-$30

doc likes this.
  6. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's also the fact that the microSD card is still not activated on the Xoom. I'm giving the Xoom a miss and waiting for the wave of Honeycomb tablets to come throughout 2011. I won't pay Motorola way too much money to get hardware features later (LTE, MicroSD). At least Flash works now.

But thanks to Google's decision to likely not release the source code for a long time, if at all, I'm probably not going with any Honeycomb tablet ever. We'll see if the next iteration (Ice Cream) works on phones and tablets, and therefore has source code released, custom ROM's, etc. I'm a geek, I don't do well with Manufacturer / vendor bloatware & interfaces.

doc likes this.
  7. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Picked up a Xoom and Ipad yesterday at VZW. I like the way the Xoom and my Android phone just sync up. So far liking it.

doc likes this.
  8. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I invested in a Xoom for work, as iOS just didn't give me the tools I needed (ability to transfer and work with large numbers of files quickly).

It's my first Android device, and so far I'm liking it. The microSD slot being disabled is crappy, but it's a limitation of the OS, so all of the other Honeycomb devices coming this year with SD slots won't have theirs working either. I suspect it will be enabled come the first major Honeycomb update.

For my money, the only real competition I've seen for it yet is one of the Samsung tablets releasing in June. No other announced Honeycomb tablet comes close to the hardware specs but those two (the 8.9 and 10.1). If you hate bloatware, the Xoom is definitely for you. There's nothing on here but stock Honeycomb.

doc likes this.
  9. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want one so bad, I really like andriod products (I bought an EVO 4g in February and LOVE IT!) but i'm too cheap to be an early adopter/purchaser. Since it's not an item I need, I'll wait till mid summer to pick up this tablet or another brand/model.

doc likes this.
  10. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My partner got one and I had a chance to play with the Xoom. I liked the size but thought it was heavy. It multi-tasks much better then an iPad does.

doc likes this.
  11. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall reading that it's ~150 grams heavier than an iPad; if you had one in each hand, you could tell the difference, but the difference isn't so much that it's uncomfortable to hold. I actually find it easier to hold than an iPad.

12. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree its easier to hold then an iPad. I like the 7 inch size.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the Xoom has a 10.1 inch screen :confused:

doc likes this.
  14. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very happy with my Xoom - Still annoyed by the limited number of Honeycomb apps. There is still no tablet optimized twitter or facebook app for example :(

15. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone found a case for the Xoom they liked yet?

16. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the motorola one, works ok

17. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have several - the "official" Motorola Gel case and a Navitech $12 leather case I found on Amazon.

I store it in a Targus slipcase when I travel.

18. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points: