Motorola Atrix

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by linsj, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. linsj
    Original Member

linsj Active Member

Status Points:
    Any feedback on this phone? I had decided to buy an iPhone until I found out I can't replace the battery, which is a deal breaker for me.

2. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. linsj
    Original Member

linsj Active Member

Status Points:
    Anyone personally using this phone?

4. I've got the Atrix, and its the best phone I've ever used! It is incredibly fast, and I love all the features. I don't like to carry around a camera, so the 5MP camera is very handy, and GPS functionality is unmatched. I used to have a Nokia N97, and while its GPS functionality and free navigation was novel, it was too slow, and the GPS got "lost" a lot. This is not the case with the Atrix, in fact its performance in this role is as good, if not better than a dedicated GPS unit (especially when pared with the vehicle dock). Media functionality is very nice, I've enjoyed being able to record events, and take pictures, then display them on a TV with the HDMI cable. I recommend getting a case for this phone, as it is very thin, super light, and the back cover is rather slick, making it feel like its constantly at risk of taking a dive out of your hand. The feature I've gotten the most use out of is the biometric security. My company's IT policy requires us to have our phones password secured in order to access our exchange server, meaning I have to enter the code every time my screen turns off, and I can't just swipe the screen, or make a quick little gesture either... so being able to swipe my finger and unlock my phone is a MAJOR benefit. I'm impressed with the battery life of this phone considering how powerful it is, I can make it through a whole day without impacting syncing services at all, and Bluetooth enabled (My Palm Pre+ used to last only 6 hours under the same conditions), or on my travel days, with all of the radios turned off, I can use it too listen to music cross country for 6 hours, and only use about 1/3 of the charge.
    In case you couldn't tell, I'm a huge fan of this phone, and as a big time gadget guy, I highly recommend it. If you've got any specific questions about the phone, please let me know.

(PS no I didn't get the laptop dock... seemed kind of silly since I carry a laptop everywhere I go anyways)

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check Phandroid. It's a great android based web site / forum, similar to Milepoint. The members their are very knowledgeable.

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be very interested in the Atrix if AT&T hadn't crippled its max data speeds (yes, I know they're supposedly lifting that restriction), it had shipped with Gingerbread, and Motorola would give it up with the stupid Motoblur garbage. I really do not understand why phone manufacturers feel the need to muck up good software (and stock, baseline Android 2.3 - even 2.2 - is very good) with crud you can't remove like Motoblur. The least they could do is give the customer the option to remove the customizations, but Motorola has gone out of its way this time to make that difficult even for the hardcore rooters and custom ROM users.

In short, the Atrix is an amazing piece of hardware somewhat crippled by bad decisions made by the carrier and hardware manufacturer.