Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sfo1, Aug 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you take for motion sickness on a cruise?

2. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recommend meclizine (the generic form of Bonine or Less Drowsy Dramamine) to my clients, along with candied ginger or Newman's Own Ginger Mints if you're wanting a more natural remedy.

I suffer from motion sensitivity myself, and I find that taking meclizine starting the night before the cruise, so the medication is fully in your system before you step on the ship as the first day is generally the worst, then continuing each night is the best solution. That way, I sleep off any drowsy side effects overnight, and if I need to supplement for particularly bad seas, the ginger does the trick.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or itinerary-related specifics I can help with.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I usually wear the cloth wrist bands which seem to do the trick in most cases. Thought there might be something that is less noticeable. Use to wear the patch behind the ear, but that is no more. Am going on a Princess cruise from VCE to ROM next week 12 days. It's my freebie for taking the Princess agent courses and keeping up with the refreshers, has only taken me three years to be able to find one I like, seems to be guite a few this year compared to last few years. I was able to choose this one about 2 months ago.

BurBunny likes this.
  4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotta love the Commodore cruises! I took mine to Antarctica a few years back. Have a wonderful time!

I've not had good luck with the acupressure bands (though I do respond to acupuncture), so have to resort to the meds.

5. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean by this?

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was a small patch that looked like a band aide and you would wear it behind the ear. It had some sort of medication that went into the skin. I think they have been outlawed, haven't seen them for quite awhile, you could get them in Canada years ago, but can't anymore.

Halothane likes this.
  7. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh! I figured you were referring to transdermal scopolamine patch which is available with a prescription in the US.

sfo1 likes this.
  8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes thats the one, but don't think it is available in Canada anymore, maybe with perscription. Has it always been by prescription in the US?

9. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's a very strong pre-operative drug which is only available by prescription in the US. It was removed from the market for a bit of time in the 90s, but is available again here.

sfo1 likes this.
  10. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just went to the drug store and to my surprise it is still sold here in Canada without prescription, it is behind the counter so you must ask for it. Talked to them about it and they said it is not that widely sold because of the side effects, especially the drowsiness, so opted for the more natural ginger.

11. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    The side effects of the patch can be quite significant, more severely vertigo and dry eyes.

I swear by ginger and use it for other things as well. It's the only thing for me which will stop the queasiness once its begun. Also good for a general stomach settler after a heavy meal or just the "woozies".

12. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Patch works wonders. My wife used one on her last cruise and was fine for the last 10 days. Don't tell her that the maximum effective time for the patch is just a few days. :D BTW the candied ginger works well.

sfo1 likes this.
  13. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points: