Most Likely Way To Clear A Simple RPU

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pizzaman, Apr 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    More of intellectual curiosity than anything else. I'm taking the family with me on a domestic trip later this year (IAD-MCO). I'm going to burn some RPUs on it. Yes, I know there are better uses but I won't have any this year and happy wife equals, well, you get it.

So, with both segments being wait listed, what's the best way to ensure clearance?

Do I apply the 4 RPUs I have to one of the flights to get on the wait list? Assumedly it would only clear the whole party if one seat popped up available?

Do I apply none of them and check every day?

Should I start splitting PNRs or wait?

Again, mostly intellectually curious.

8MiHi and traveltoomuch like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were it I, I'd split the PNRs and apply them in order of clearance preference. Then I'd watch every day (or thereabouts) and in the event that it doesn't happen automatically, call in. I've had success, as have others (ParanoiaTX notably) in the last few months with automatic waitlist clearances so I would hope that it would work correctly for you as well. But I also think we're all jaded enough from the recent past where the automated clearances were not occurring to not leave it to chance.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree on jaded. :)

My original thought was splitting them into pairs (don't really want kids traveling alone without parent). That will reduce my chances to some degree.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not totally spilt the PNR so that everyone can clear if there's only one upgrade seat? Set it up so that wife clears first, then each kid individually, then you? That way, no matter what happens with the upgrade, there will never be a kid in a cabin without a parent.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I thought about it, but not sure Momma Pizza would want to sit alone in F. Okay, I'm sure Momma Pizza "wants" to sit alone in F but her maternal instincts would be to gravitate to where her kids were.

8MiHi and WilliamQ like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you can always swap your seat with her :D

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I like all my body parts where they are now. And I like that my wife is okay with that. ;)

8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only if her maternal instinct is "killing" her and she needs to be with her children.
    I am sure your wife recognise that you are sacrificing quality air time with your kids if you make that swap and it has absolutely nothing to do with those wonderful seats and drinks. It fact, its totally killing you..... :p
    But I agree that splitting the PNR would have a better chance overall.