Most expensive city? New York's not even in the top 20

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gregm, Mar 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I travel, I try to figure out if a week "wherever" will break me.

Watch the video here: http://finance.yahoo.com/video/most-expensive-places-live-000412899.html

Bottom line, when it comes to the bottom line, no American city is even in the top 20.

Here are the top five, along with a few sample prices (liters have been converted to gallons):

No. 4: A tie between Oslo and Melbourne

Melbourne:

Loaf of bread: $4.87
    Bottle of wine: $25.03
    Gallon of gas: $5.64
    Pack of cigarettes: $15.72

Oslo:

Loaf of bread: $6.31
    Bottle of wine: $17.58
    Gallon of gas: $9.88
    Pack of cigarettes: $15.24

No. 3: Sydney

Loaf of bread: $5.03
    Bottle of wine: $25.38
    Gallon of gas: $5.68
    Pack of cigarettes: $15.48

No. 2: Osaka

Loaf of bread: $7.94
    Bottle of wine: $17.55
    Gallon of gas: $7.42
    Pack of cigarettes: $5.57

No. 1: Tokyo

Loaf of bread: $9.06
    Bottle of wine: $15.95
    Gallon of gas: $7.46
    Pack of cigarettes: $5.57

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, gregm! Simply amazing! I wonder if our Milepoint colleagues living in or spending much time in Tokyo, Osaka, or another of these very-pricey cities can pass along some yen-saving tips? ;)
    Newscience

sobore, anileze, gregm and 1 other person like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the same time how useful to a traveler are the price points used? Gas and bread aren't the most critical things for me when I travel unless I am renting a car. I don't really drink wine and don't smoke. Like any major city, go where the locals go and you can save a good amount. When I went (*to Tokyo) it wasn't that bad. No worse than NYC IMHO and I live in NYC.

*edited for clarity.
    Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    The price points are just a reference to cost of living in these cities and are quite relevant. When I travel for fun, sometimes I try to get the most "bang for my buck". Most people drink wine (although I don't either) and everyone buys food (bread). If you rent a car, you buy gas. I smoke.

Singapore Flyer and Newscience like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you buy a gallon of gas visiting Tokyo or New York City??? :confused:

And I've bought plenty of food in both and not paid such high prices.

7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I get it, but I also don't remember seeing a loaf of bread for $9 in Tokyo. At most they were a few bucks and you could get the 6 slices of milk bread with no crust for the equivalent of $2 at the 7-11 and Lawsons (which as convenience stores have an inherent mark up). One of my favorite things to do is to go to the supermarket and see what "US" or Western items cost because it is interesting to me, but it is usually something that is a US made item. Whereas the local equivalent are typically much cheaper. For ranking purposes, it might make sense, but for traveling purposes, I wouldn't get to hung up on these survey/reports.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It isn't even relevant for ranking purposes. If people in Tokyo mostly drink beer and eat noodles or rice then why does the price of bread and wine matter??

9. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Because the person that create the survey probably had western preferences or readership?:p

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    This survey is more for the cost of living in a city, certainly not visiting.

The Economist Intelligence Unit uses a basket of goods that contains 140 goods and services (food, transportation, housing). I am not sure it is entirely accurate or reflective of local dietary habits, or even as a basket of goods (like inclusion tobacco which is not used by a whole or even majority of some populations). It also may not reflect burden of taxes which support the social programs (like public education and healthcare) for the nations at the top and lessen costs in other nations.

WilliamQ, iolaire and bigx0 like this.
  11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    These "lists" should be taken with a grain of salt as most are advertorials. This one by the economist, real estate folks.

Move on this is nothing but a penis envy contest!

12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, that's the other thread about "What is your member number"

KENNECTED likes this.
  13. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's very useful info for anyone contemplating a visit to Scandinavia, AU/NZ, or Japan. Those regions have obscenely overpriced currencies. The cost of living is manageable there for those earning income in the same currencies, and is only shocking when converted into USD. I take such surveys more as a side effect to the Fed's policy of debasing USD.

14. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    You do realize this is not a survey but an advertisement made up to look like a legit list.

anileze likes this.
  15. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not realize. What do you think was being advertised, and who might sponsor such article? I suppose being on any list might already be worth something, but nothing in the article was particularly attractive.

anileze likes this.
  16. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is CNBC in the videoclip. My last trip to TYO, A bowl of healthy ramen outside Univ. of Tokyo cost me under $5. Which is a big meal in itself. A small bottle of Sake was about $4. I did not drive, so no gas.

This seems like a list made out of expense vouchers of US Embassy personnel worldwide ?

MX and Singapore Flyer like this.
  17. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just recently in Paris I was charged 5 euros for a glass of lemonade (i.e. around $6/£4) I understood I was in a 'touristy' area, but it seemed I couldn't escape the high prices. I'm not sure i'd be able to survive living in Tokyo!

uggboy likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Have you not read any of the comments above noting that Tokyo isn't actually all that expensive, depending on what you choose to order???

newbluesea likes this.
  19. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    A bowl of Tsukemen Shio Ramen, please...

anileze likes this.
  20. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I noticed that drinks in general are pricey in many parts of Europe (Paris and BCN) when I went, however, food wasn't so bad if you account for taxes, tip (VAT) and such are already included into the price.

21. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember, many eons ago, a certain island in the Altantic Ocean/Caribbean Sea was listed as being twice as expensive as most expensive neighborhood in NYC. It turned out that nearly expats who moved from London/Amsterdam on assignments, got a gardner, driver, cook and kids were sent to an exclusive school. To cater to their back home nostalgia, they shopping for foods and edibles which were twice as expensive as other equivalents.

The consulting firm (which shall remain nameless) has a very large relocation and international settlement practice and responsible for researching and publishing that report.

MX likes this.
  22. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought everyone is entitled to their opinion and to contribute? At least thats what you said. Always argumentative. What a shame. Takes so much away from the experience.

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, and I have no problem pointing them to more accurate information, contained right in this thread, than that which the "survey" cited by the article provides.

Helping each other learn the reality behind the scary headlines and incomplete or inaccurate information otherwise offered up is part of why this community works so well.

If I'm ruining your experience here so much perhaps this will help.

newbluesea likes this.
  24. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree the whole article is pretty silly and that's my opinion Like many of these so called surveys and ratings one can always find data to skew what is most likely a preconceived opinion.
    Not that it matters since the OP pretty seems bent on defending its premise .. but I am mildly curious as to whether those above apparently rushing to judgement have actually
    been to some of those cities or Tokyo for that matter:rolleyes:.?

And while on this topic how about this? :D Tokyo dethroned???
    http://money.msn.com/money-video/de...c2-5c2c-8be2-ab9b-6fd89e24d602&sf=Relevancy#4

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Oslo, Sydney & Tokyo. I'm going back to Oslo in 10 days. I know it is expensive there and I'm prepared for it. But I also know how to mitigate some of those expenses a wee bit, in large part thanks to help and knowledge I've acquired here and on FlyerTalk.

On this version of the list (also recently released) I've been to 8/10.

[​IMG]

I certainly don't think Singapore is so crazy expensive to visit, especially not for fantastic food. The Swiss and Scandinavian cities are worse IMO/IME.

Singapore Flyer, anileze and MX like this.