Most Disappointing Hotel Experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Mangy, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am just wondering about your most disappointing hotel experience. This doesn't need to be the worst hotel experience, but perhaps it was something you were looking forward to or had higher expectations of.

For me it was the Old Bangkok Inn B&B. I had been to BKK dozens of times, but decided to stay at the number 1 ranked B&B on Tripadvisor. It was about $100/night - a little bit more could have gotten me a bed in a 5* hotel.

Anyway, we were looking forward to our stay. Unfortunately, our room stank of cat pee, it was tiny, and the staff took 2 cell phones from the luggage we had left with them.

It was a bit disappointing to say the least

Chimpy and sobore like this.
  2. That doesn't sound good at all.

I think about the worst that bothered me was no hot water. I encountered this many times in India and Russia.
    Russia often has hot water hours, while India it was either timing or it just wasn't working. Otherwise, these were mostly very cheap places. At least in Russia these days, one can find Hilton Garden and Ibis.

I had stayed with a friend in Ireland. It was interesting that his Apartment automatically limited hot water in the complex. This is a nice part of downtown Dublin too.

Chimpy and sobore like this.
  3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to go research the name but it was in Coventry in England. It was the early 2000's. There was a lot of "urban renewal" going on, the entrance to the hotel was kind of under a building and was very dark. The ceilings were all about 7' tall, there were stains all over the carpets and walls and the piece de resistance was that one of the hotels crowning glories was that they had a brochure that promoted their service for wakes, funerals and post-funeral gatherings. [​IMG] There could have been a certain "cause and effect" thing going on there.

Chimpy likes this.
  4. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check this out if you think your experience was disappointing, it's nothing compared to this place.

The pictures are worth a look!

http://immabeehere.blog.com/2011/03/10/dead-hooker-hotel/

Chimpy likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an image:

[​IMG]

(Click the image to read more).

Chimpy likes this.
  6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Trianon Palace Versailles. As a Diamond I was shuttled out of the main building, where the better rooms are, because it was "a busy time" even though Diamonds are supposed to get main building rooms. No water or any of the other goodies promised (wine, chocolate, etc) by the front desk ever made it to the room. The front desk was disinterested at best about us not even having a bottle or two of water. What else - oh, about an hour wait for a taxi as the front doormen allowed others to take the taxis called for us. Now I've seen dumpy hotels but at this hotel I was expecting a lot better service. It's on the never go back list because of the poor service.

Note: One of the managers did try to make up for it in the end but I would have rather had a nice stay.

Cheers