Most creative routing BKK - AMS

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by joesmoe, Aug 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay so in the beginning of november I need to go from Asia (preferably bkk) to AMS.

Using AA miles, what's the best route for # of miles flown.

I was thinking stopping in hong kong on the way for a couple weeks and using cathay, and was informed by an agent that it would be ~62k miles.

Does anybody have any better first class options or recommended routings? If I haven't been to the country before, i'll stop and spend a week or two in the layover city.

Thanks in advance!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    100% recommend flying CX F class through HKG if you can find the space, especially with a direct flight on their 747!

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We'd probably need a bit more information to start.

So you want to fly F, not J or Y, correct?
    You can start in BKK, but where else can you possibly start?
    You are looking to stop somewhere on your way to AMS, even if it increases the amount of the award?

JohnDeere19 and Gardyloo like this.
  4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And are you returning to BKK? Or going somewhere after AMS?

5. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    Clearly via HOE.

6. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I need to be in Amsterdam at the end of november, and in Vienna for christmas with family.

Shot answer: Yes.

I'm currently on an aeroplan mini-rtw, so i'm going to be leaving it for a while then returning to it. The aeroplan ticket is US - FRA - AMS - MUC - BKK (I'm currently on another ticket from BKK - India - Kual Lim Pur) - SYD (and then back).

So yes, I do need to be back in BKK around the 15th of Jan that's when my BKK - SYD ticket is on aeroplan.

I want to fly F, I understand some short legs may be in business though.

I will be in BKK, however flights to singapore are cheap.

I am looking to stop somewhere on my way to AMS (Hong Kong maybe?). This would be from nov 5-15th (+/- 3 days). While I wouldn't mind increasing the price of the award a little, the goal here is to maximize flown miles per mile spent on the award. In addition the goal is to fly the best first class products available (available being the big problem here).

I don't think its possible, but i would be fine going through sydney to fly quantas. In that case i would not want a stopover though.

--

My plans are very very flexible, and i'm trying to use the miles i've gained in the most effective mannor. I have all the time in the world at the moment, and have many places I haven't seen yet.

Thanks for all the input everybody!

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  7. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, since (a) you're coming back, and (b) you want to stop over en route, you should be looking at the AA "Oneworld" award scheme, not the "All Partners" awards since those are all one-way and with intermediate stopovers (e.g. HKG) the cumulative mileage requirement would be greater than the Oneworld awards. The Oneworld award requires the use of two Oneworld member airlines (in addition to AA if AA is used at all) and are based on flown miles, not regions.

Some data points -

Getting premium cabin availability on segments of the Kangaroo routes is going to be a mighty labo(u)r around the year end. Peak holiday season at both ends of the Europe < > Oz line.

IMO the "pick of the litter" for FC on Europe > SE Asia would be the QF A380 between SIN and LHR. You might try to see about availability on this route at the beginning of your trip, in order to avoid trying to get it during December/January... BKK CX SIN QF LHR BA AMS CX HKG CX BKK. In J that would require 130K AA miles; 180K in F. If you made your own way to SIN and started there, you could fit in under 14K flown miles, reducing the J/F mileage requirement to 115K/150K respectively. You could stop over in any/all of those cities.

Or, if you wanted something pretty exotic, and didn't mind not going in F, you could do something quite unusual like BKK CX CMB RJ AMM RJ LHR BA AMS AY HEL AY BKK for 115K miles.

Or something even more off the radar, try out the newest Oneworld partner, S7 Airlines with BKK S7 OVB S7 DME BA LHR BA AMS RJ AMM RJ BKK, also for 115K miles in J. Novosibirsk in November? Why not?

joesmoe and JohnDeere19 like this.
  8. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the "exotic" routings listed. That's exactly what i'm looking for. Do some of those airlines not offer F or something though? How come I can't have an exotic routing mainly in F?

Thanks again for all the great information, it is much appreciated.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The only OW airlines that offer F are CX/JL/AA/BA/QF. Even then it's only on high demand routes, so you're not likely to see F service to some exotic locales.

So while RJ/AY/MA are more exotic, you'll only get J class.

joesmoe likes this.
  10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will that QF flight incur huge fees because of LHR?

Also, I assume I can't just use an AAdvantage 1 way award for 6Xk miles each way because I'll be using BA to get from LHR to AMS?

I would like to keep everything in first (though the two example biz itineraries you mentioned are both great), and have already been to both London and Singapore, so neither are particularly appealing to me (Especially if there's some huge tax or fees involved with LHR).

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You will incur a fee for having a BA flight between LHR and AMS, but not because of LHR specifically. Using AA miles for BA flights means you'll have to pay the fuel surcharges on the flight. If you're thinking of the luxury tax people talk about in LHR, that's only for people who are departing from the UK. Since you will be transisting, you won't pay it.

I believe the OW award was suggested because it might require less miles than doing one way awards, though I'm not sure that's true in all possible scenarios for your trip.

For example if you wanted to do BKK-HKG-LHR-AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK on a OW award in F you'd be paying 180K. The same award as one ways would cost 162.5K (BKK-HKG is 22.5K, HKG-LHR-AMS 70K, AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK 70K).

Other itineraries would work better on a OW Award though.

Really it depends on what you want to do and where you want to stop. You titled the thread as "most creative routing BKK-AMS" but in reality it actually sounds like you have some very specific things in mind: 1. F class and 2. Stopping in a city you haven't been too before.

It's all a bit "scattered", like nailing jello to a wall. ;)

Don't get me wrong, most of us love talking about the possibilites of an award trip and looking at routings. There are a million routings and possibilities though, and without something concrete we're just throwing darts in the dark hoping one hits a bullseye. KUL? CMB? DPS? DEL? MNL? These and quite a few others open up with the use of a OW award. Possibilities are limitless, but if you need F class on all flights you're limiting yourself to a handful of cities.

I think it would help if you knew a handful of places you knew for sure you'd like to stop on your way to AMS, and if you let us know how many miles you'd like to spend to do so.

Using the OW award opens up pretty much stopping anywhere in Asia, and even adds JL to the list if you'd be willing to swing north to NRT.

travelinmike33 and joesmoe like this.