Moscow remains world's most expensive city for hotels

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Aug 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Moscow remains world's most expensive city for hotels ||

Interesting to know, when planning travel.:)

flyingdawg and jbcarioca like this.
  2. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jesus. 404$ per night in Moscow is the AVERAGE? I guess when I go I'll have my wife apply for a spate of hotel credit cards

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    What they do not, probably cannot, do is show the seasonal and event fluctuations. Moscow hotels, for example, are quite cheap in February. Even #5 on the global list Rio de Janeiro, has huge price fluctuations based on events and season. The broad generalizations work well for expense policies, but for trip planning IME one will undershoot or overshoot these averages quite easily. For example try Moscow in June and you'll spend twice their number, try Rio during Carnival or New Years and you'll consider yourself lucky at triple those prices. In sum, YMMV, and in fact it does!

Quasiconvexity, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Electric (heating) bills are expensive in the winter time :D

jbcarioca, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even with variation, the average prices are quite ridiculous. I've stayed in February, first week of May (!), June, November, etc. and have a company audit for my $400/night Holiday Inn stay to show that Moscow at best gets to be "average" priced. From personal observation, fluctuation during the week (especially depending on location) are far higher than seasonal. Novotel had weeks where the price would go from $170 a night during weekend to $700 during weekday.

The room prices that you see online typically do not have 18% tax included, so that's a large chunk of the ridiculous rates to begin with. You can certainly find cheap hotels ($80-$120) but a lot of them are of rather questionable quality and the 40 lbs pillows make it rather easy to calculate their age.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am probably more tolerant because I live in Rio de Janeiro, only marginally cheaper than Moscow. Weekend stays are invariably cheaper during winter, and I agree taht midweek can be expensive anytime there is business activity. OTOH, I do not find Moscow so hugely more expensive than other places I go. Maybe I am just jaded.

uggboy likes this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    The costs are high since each room comes with a vat of Borscht! :D

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The secret is OUT IN THE OPEN!;)