Morimoto at the Waikiki Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Courcoison, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    Back in October 2010 when Morimoto opened at the new Waikiki Edition, although I did not stay as a guest at the hotel, I tried the restaurant twice. Chef Morimoto was busy, both nights, trying to manage the kitchen as well as the restaurant itself running around in shorts. It was my first Morimoto food experience and although it was not bad, I was not impressed. The soba noddles were too soft both evening. Getting Morimoto to sign the menu was a challenge be he eventually did it. I am back next week end and will report on both the menu and the experience.

2. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day.
    Sorry to report that I was not able to dine at Morimoto but instead will report on another Honolulu dinner experience at Yakitori Yoshi on Makaloa Street.
    In any case back in october the first night I had the Omakase with Sake flight. Nothing really to report but disappointing for a grand total of $178.01 without tip. Order got mixed up and the sashimi and sushi were called wrong twice.
    On the second night my local friends and I had:
    -Lobster Sashimi :$30.00 . It was ok but it took some work as the lobster was served twice cooked. The waitress was not familiar with either the menu or the sashimi version.
    -Wagyu Beef Carpaccio: $20.00. Good but no creation from the kitchen.
    -Morimoto Soba: $18.00. Too soft. Spent the night in the fridge?
    -Kakuni ( pork Belly/rice congee): $16.00. Acceptable but nothing you could not get in a middle of the road restaurant.
    -Angry Chicken: $29.00. marinated organic half chicken. No taste.
    -Duck, Duck, Duck: $28.00. Interesting combination of duck breast, duck confit spring rool and duck meatball soup. Fell short of meeting expectations.
    -Whole Fish: $29.00. Big Island Fluke but again failed to meet the table's expectations
    in terms of taste/flavors and creativity.
    -Wagyu, Tamago sushi: $8.00
    -Shiso Maki: $5.00
    -One bottle of Vouvray ( French Chenin Blanc) from the Loire Valley: $36.00
    Total: $229.31

morimoto.jpg

singtx likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    We go to the one in Manhattan reasonably often (and are going tonight :D) and I tend to agree with the above assessment. The mains are just OK and the Omakase is an adventure and probably worth doing once but also a bit all over the place in terms of the foods and just doesn't feel like a meal to me so much as a bunch of random stuff served up in sequence.

That said, there are a number of the starters that we LOVE, including the spicy king crab leg, the rock shrimp tempura and a few others. We usually get those and then a small sushi platter and can get out the door with some pretty good food in a very pleasant environment for a rather reasonable price.

4. Bowdoin
    Original Member

Bowdoin Active Member

Status Points:
    Just ate at Morimoto's at The Edition last week and had a very good meal...better than the one we had a couple of months ago at the Napa location. We sat outside on the side of the restaurant and I think that made all the difference as the dining room was very loud (much like in Napa). The service was, for the most part, very good altough one of the servers continuously forgot who ordered what (the restaurant was very accomodating as we were a party of 6 but only 4 wanted to Omasake dinner). Most of the dishes were excellent and the wine list was great. I particularly likes the pinapple tempura, the potstikers and the steak with maui onion reduction. The deserts were probably the least appealing parts of the menu. The restaurant was very busy--it was a Saturday night--but we were seated on time and, as I mentioned, the location on the side of the restaruant was great. Valet parking is included which is a nice addition. The public spaces of The Edition--particularly the bars outside--were very nice. Overall, I would recommend the restaurant.

5. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have dined at the original Morimoto's in Philidelphia. This was before he started the "must have a restaurant in every major city in the world mentality". We had the omekase and it was one of the best meals we have ever had. He personally came to our table, sat with us, got his picture taken and chatted a bit about being iron chef. We were totally blown away not by just the food but by his personal service. Guy has a real personality.

6. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the same thing. He wasnt there that night, but the food was amazing!

7. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    While the menu is shorter, we enjoyed the breakfast dishes...and the place was definitely less crowded. The "loco moto" was great, as were the pancakes.

Horse likes this.
  8. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love Morimoto's. Only tried the Philly location but will be at his NY one next month. I think he is brilliant.

9. singtx
    Original Member

singtx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made reservations for the Napa location in Sept.