More upgrade list problems: vanishing from list after check-in

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by traveltoomuch, May 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's the current story on upgrade queue management issues? I heard that UA was trying to fix the "can't request an upgrade within 24 hours of departure" problem, but are there other known issues?

My contribution: last night a passenger who had been on an upgrade waitlist for BusinessFirst:
    • Received a boarding pass showing that she had been added to the upgrade standby list.
    • Did not show up on the list on mobile.united.com.
    • Was told by a gate agent that she was not on the upgrade list.
    • And didn't get the upgrade.
    • (This was at an airport that does not have monitors showing the full list.)
    I think I've experienced the same thing before, though this is the first clear-cut proof. Is it a known bug? Any estimate for a fix?

For the UA folks reading: it's very important that you fix this. Having upgrades clear was always chancy, but having them fail because of IT problems, like appears to have happened here, changes the odd enough that I'm more reluctant to pay the premiums for upgradeable fares.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're not on the list online after being checked in then an agent at the airport has to fix it for you.

3. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two weeks ago as a displaced 1st, I was put on the waitlist... but I didn't show up on the standby list visible on the app or the screen at the gate, yet the gate person said that they could see I was #1 on the list if a seat came up. We rely on our indicators to be reliable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This means that there is an IT problem that needs fixing. I recently reported receiving the following email from UA less than 24 hr before departure
    while searching R space within minutes of receiving the email showed R8/RN8! That is a broken system, in my view. I proactively called and secured an upgrade without having to wait at the airport, but this should not have happened. My upgrade should have cleared because I recall that when I had requested it back in February and it was waitlisted, the agent had told me that I was the first and only passenger on the waitlist at the time. Barring 8 GSs on this flight, I should have retained priority for being the first 1k on the list...

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For our recent EWR-HNL flight I had to go to the airport and have an agent "manually add me" to the upgrade list...she used some sort of code...PSGR UGRD C CABIN or something like that. My waitlist priority was maintained based upon status, fare paid, and time of original request (just ahead of rggale :D).

Look her about 10 minutes, and she had to leaf through her binder of notes on SHARES. If it wasn't for the fact that it was 5 am and nobody was really at the check in desks yet, I can see it being a huge hassle.

6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week I was traveling with my GM son as a companion and it showed him as #1 on the list. At least 6 people cut in front of him and got upgraded while he never cleared.

redwoman likes this.
  7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just saw this happen yet again. I checked in, and my boarding passes clearly showed "Added to Upgrade Standby List". Checking mobile.united.com, I saw my name on the list for one segment but not both. It took upwards of 20 mintues on the phone to get added. UA: you need to fix this.

Flyer1976 likes this.