More United.com Goofiness

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was checking out the eFares page that was posted on United.com today and saw that they were offering choices that were no longer available (the Domestic next week, Same day return and Midweek).

Now why on earth would you do that?

They must have hired some really amateur programmers/developers to now know how to hide options that don't exist anymore.

[​IMG]

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's likely an easier (cosmetic/UI) change than fixing the engine that powers those searches. I agree that it's a pretty lame way to handle it, but thus is the reality in any large IT organization.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the track record of .bomb, this should surprise no one.:)

4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is also frustrating because they list every city, regardless of whether or not e-fares are offered. The old list included only cities that offered at least one type of e-fare.

JLSocks likes this.
  5. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably done by the same people who managed to mangle the 24 hour clock so badly that 12:xx departures (Noon + xx) are displaying as 00.xx. Way to go.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Looks like they've disappeared again... unless there truely is nothing available this weekend in/out of DEN, or ORD? Are they gone for good, or is United just yanking our chain.... Again.

7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The eFares don't show up until 12a Tuesday.

8. mail4me.jy
    Original Member

mail4me.jy Active Member

Status Points:
    Simple answer: Outsourced IT

As anyone knows who (like me) has had to sit on the line with UAL's web-support "professionals" while they apologize for making you wait, and then repeat back a scripted problem description that does not match your issue, and then apologize for misunderstanding and then ask you to wait on hold again while they "research the matter" and apologize for the delay. And when they are back on the phone you can hear the rest of the call center in the background. In a recent call I could not hear my agent as there was laughing and partying going on, when I said I could not hear her due to the noise in the background I was told they were having a party as they had won a "High Service Achievement Award." NOT JOKING!!!

[​IMG]

United's online reservation system is limited in its ability to handle basic functions. Ex: Try to book online a series of flights from BKK-NRT-SFO-BOS departing on the 6am flight out of BKK. All works fine until you cross the International Date Line and then you are actually arriving in SFO at a local time that is before your departure from NRT. The online system will not let you book the flights that are available and appropriate as its referencing LOCAL time and not a universal time reference point. So online reservations of city-to-city is out, can't call a human agent to help without getting hit with a UAL $25 service fee (customer service enhancement fee) for actually wanting to talk with a human being. And so your only option that will not separate you from more of your income at this point is to try to get UAL Web Support (above) to resolve the booking issue, as the shouting and screaming in the background of your internationally redirected call is managed by the Award Winning United outsourced service professionals.

Welcome slaves, to what Jeff Smisek has set forth and predicted for us at the beginning of every flight that there will be "a number of changes in the months ahead and I think you'll like them". <insert smiling mug of Lawyer CEO here>. Welcome to United Airlines and the ever declining standards of customer care in our future.

Attached Files:

Infinite1K and Flyer1976 like this.