More troubles with SQ/UA award seats

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Jan 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've spent the past couple weeks chasing down details on issues with United being unable to book some awards on SQ metal. I wanted to fly LAX-NRT-SIN on SQ and the coach seats appeared to be available to ANA, AV and AC; surely that meant I should be able to call and book them with an agent. Except not so much. And so I started to fear the return of StarNet blocking.

[​IMG]

After much back and forth and digging (including some help from more senior people there, not just res agents) the bug in the systems has been identified. It is not a willful blocking of the seats (i.e. NOT StarNet blocking) but it is a very real problem affecting all SQ flights which touch the USA (SQ1, SQ11, SQ15, SQ25 & SQ61). Those flights are not able to be booked - in whole or in part - as an award using UA miles at this time.

They're working on solving the problem, but it isn't there yet.

Added bonus: An agent confirmed that all awards involving SQ metal are now manually priced. Have fun with that.

LETTERBOY, Flyer1976, viguera and 5 others like this.
  2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool, so, given that you want to book this trip now, are they gonna honor the pre-Feb-1 prices for you?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They cannot book the seats so I cannot get the SQ flight. Also, it is an economy award so I don't think the rates are changing too much.

My original need which triggered this was SAN/LAX-DAC. I found alternate TG/OZ or LH/TK flights which get me there so it was a moot point for my practical needs, but the theoretical challenge it presented was interesting enough to me that I kept on the case, working for a few weeks to get answers and press for solutions. I chose to publish the details now, even though the situation is not resolved, because I believe that UA is now working towards the correct solution and to inform others of what's going on.

Counsellor likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How convenient. It's been taking you weeks to get answers? That means it's a long-running problem, right? Wanna bet if the problem was to the advantage of the customer it would have been fixed rather quickly?

Thanks for sharing, Seth.

MX likes this.
  5. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    perhaps they will just retrogress enhance to actual "StarNet Blocking" and assure us that we will "like the changes".

6. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mighty convenient that during a time when redemption activity on partner carriers is heightened before the mileage increases that the most relevant SQ flights are unavailable for" technical reasons".

I suppose the problem will be fixed February 1st. :D

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So what's special about the way their system handles the flights that touch the US that only those are blocked, but not others? Something smells fishy here.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are a lot of open questions about what's happening here, many of which I've asked with a healthy dose of skepticism. We'll see what happens in terms of getting answers.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No answer is an answer, too, I guess.

#flyerfriendly

HeathrowGuy and Counsellor like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This issue should be resolved now.

Happy flying.

Steve GadFly likes this.
  11. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the manual pricing issue fixed or is the problem with booking SQ flights touching the US? Right now, I've got BKK-PVG-YYZ-JFK but I'd love to experience SQ either through Europe or a US west coast gateway to get home.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just the part where those specific flights weren't available as awards.

Any award involving SQ is still manually priced by agents and I don't expect that to change at any point in the near future. Also, you're still only going to get Y awards on SQ so I wouldn't go too far out of my way to change to them.

13. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks....but not the news I was hoping for. I still have plenty of time to play around with the routing though so hopefully something shibby will present itself.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.