More than 2 J Seats between HKG and YYZ/ORD/JFK

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by milestoburn, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    meant to say and HKG in the title.....

I have noticed that even 330 days out or what ever the max period is, I only see 2 J awards per flight out of JFK/ORD/YYZ to HKG. Is this just for April 2012? Even when using BAEC to look 355 days out, April 22 today is showing only 2 J awards per flight from JFK/ORD or YYZ.

I am looking for 3 but do not see three on any dates ever very far out.

Last time I booked an award, I swore they had up to 8 on some flights but that was 2 years ago when the economy was in the crapper.

2. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they only release 2 at first load of flights into their system on these routes, and then they add additional seats if these flights are not filling up. I remember when I was booking 330 days out (for this summer), I kept on seeing 2 J and 2 F seats on planes. I did noticed that flights 4-6 months, and 2-3 weeks out would have sometimes 4 J or 3 J available. I am not an expert on this, but I think their inventory management does not release a lot award seats when flights show up at 11-12 months out.

I am not sure if you are using AA or CX miles to book. If you do use AA miles, you can book 2 in Biz (U booking code), and the third ticket in Coach (T booking code). You can change your date as long as your routing stays the same, so you can move all 3 seats if all of the sudden 3 Biz show up a day or two around your original booking date. Also, with AA you can upgrade from Coach to Biz without any additional charges, you just need to pay additional miles for the class difference and your routing needs to stay the same. So this strategy will allow you to move dates and if another J shows up or upgrade your Coach seat to Biz class if it another Biz shows up on that same flight. This way you at least have 2 Biz seats confirmed and you are just chasing 1 more.

I hope this is helpful, Good Luck!

Best,

PedroNY

3. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    it would be with BA miles but even when I use AA or my CX account, I can still only see two. i was hoping that perhaps i was useless with my searches and that there is more but just gets snapped up fast.

the last big award booking that I made was in May 2009 for a May 2010 trip. in that case, even 355 days out via BA, on the dates I was keen on, I could see up to 8 seats on the same flight in J for booking - it was scary wide open. i just wonder with the uptick in the economy, there is no longer a need to make so much space available that early. i could do the two J and one Y. very easy as there are generally 2 J and 5 Y on each of the flights as soon as they become bookable.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you see if you can do 2 J and 1 F???

PedroNY likes this.
  5. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or 2 F and 1 J !

I am not sure if I ever seen 3 F at a time, but of course that would be as good as you can get! :)

Cheers,

PedroNY

6. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard reports of people seeing 4 available F award seats on the same JFK flights in the past.

7. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen on quite a few occasions as many as 5 J seats particularly out of YYZ. I have never seen more than 2 F seats other than within one week of the flight. It's not the full distance but we are round-tripping JFK-YVR in January 4 of us in J.

8. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    booked 2 J and 1F. will flip a coin with the spouse as to who gets to fly F. easy enough to book the mini cabin and then one seat in row 2 close to the curtain.

9. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    can you let me know when? i have seen up to 8 but in the last while can only see 2.