Under Review More sub-forums in Destination Travel

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Exit Row, May 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can we have some more sub-forums in the Destination Travel section? Selfishly, I'm looking at the "Other North American/Non-US" forum because I think that's too broad. And to be honest I'm getting tired of all the Vancouver threads that could maybe be housed in a Canada West forum, or something like that (or just deleted all together; who wants to read about Vancouver? :eek:;)). But seriously (and selfishly), maybe Canada West, Central and East.

jbcarioca, lin821, taiwaned and 2 others like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would support such an addition! :)

3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was about to start a new thread on the Destinations forum as I just visited it today to see if there were some threads on Costa Rica there.

What I found in the Central/South America forum was a jumble of mostly threads about Brazil and Argentina, and after wading through the 4 pages of threads... just two on CR.

Sub forums are really necessary in these forums..... I had the patience to skim all of the posts in that forum today... but if there were more than 4 pages of threads with no organization to look through I would have just closed MP and gone over to other travel websites... Not the idea that MP is hoping to promote

Please open up subforums in the Destinations forum.... we really need them!

4. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Others have repeatedly requested this as well. It is really hard to find relevant info here however the powers that be seem not to be interested in listening.

lin821 likes this.
  5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I will add this thread to the suggestion master list for new forum suggestions.

6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.... it can not occur soon enough... :)

While there are many MPers with lots of information to share... if we are unable to find it without undue searching... it is counterproductive and not conducive to the idea of trying to share info...

7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually we do a vast amount of listening, the more established members and quite frankly to many of the newer members. We've adapted a plan which we learned the hard way ... and it is adapted from true craftsman—"measure twice, cut once". Essentially I know all too well the pratfalls of making decisions in the moment in the dynamic world of forums. For each item we are researching, we are not looking at today, we are trying to position that item five to ten years from now. I can't tell you how many things were done, undone and redone with my prior experience based on not looking into the future and simply trying to satisfy the moment. Inherently there is nothing wrong with that if the community and others don't mind change. Fact is, many do and our hope is to make decisions that won't require any change over the next 5-10 years. It's not easy, but if we can be consistent in thought and plan, we hope you'll respect that as well.

On any given day i have side conversations going with groups of members as small as two to groups as large as 50. Each group's contributions are measured to provide different and long lasting input into an item. What we hear constantly from the newbies is the absolute pleasure of the simplicity of milepoint. there in no intimidation of a community with 200 forums. So, how do we balance that view, with adding more forums. what creative and new and untried things might we challenge ourselves to and yet please all interested in milepoint as their base station for frequent flyer and general travel information. The rule—measure twice, cut once—is a very disciplined approach to being a craftsman and we want to take that same approach here on milepoint. Maybe it's our Zen moment, but whatever it can be referred to, we're just over two months old and our whole life is still in front of us. Thanks for listening and thanks for your support of milepoint.

jbcarioca and lin821 like this.
  8. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    We appreciate that you are thinking of the future. What happens though if there is no future of milepoint because it wasn't successful NOW? Shouldn't you worry about making sure MP is useful to travellers now and if things need to be adjusted 5-10 years from now, so be it? Planning for what happens 5-10 years from now and having MP irrelevant now seems counterproductive.

jbcarioca and lin821 like this.
  9. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    A thought. Really what we are discussing here are the secondary forums for milepoint. Let's take a look at the request for a more defined Central America forum. Seems easy, right? As I mentioned, I'm trying to picture what it looks like in a number of years. For instance, I do a lot of research. Take for instance that FlyerTalk is 15 years old—ancient, right? Did you realize that in the Central America forum on FlyerTalk there have only been a total of 18 threads active since Jan. 1. Yes, eighteen threads and eleven of them have 5 or fewer replies with three of them having no replies at all. And this from a fully blown out 15 year popular forum. Those types of numbers from a popular 15-year old website should make one think about the need for a distinct and separate forum. But we don't think about the numbers. We are thinking about a different approach. What makes our strategy a bit different is that we are researching to find content champions. We find that rather than simply add forum upon forum upon forum, how might we guarantee a better level of success for our forums growth. We believe it lies in timing the addition of a forum to a content champion. For instance Brazil. There was a call initially for a separate forum. I said prove it and we found several champions who took on the responsibility to build that content and it has worked great. So, while we may not add a Canada West or a more defined area for just Central America, we do listen and we do our research and we are open toward strategies that will work, year after year after year. Thank you.

jbcarioca likes this.