More Special Meals: Is That Kosher?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Newscience, May 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    More Special Meals: Is That Kosher?

by Scott McCartney

Savvy high-end travelers passing through Singapore are in on a secret: When they leave town on Singapore Airlines and feel like lobster thermidor, all they have to do is ask.

Business-class passengers can request it anytime they want, even though the dish isn't regularly offered in business class. The airline says it's by far the top choice out of Singapore, followed by steak.

That's one of the more extravagant ways airlines cater to their passengers' stomachs in a bid for loyalty, especially among those paying high-fare premiums. Dietary needs and better technology that makes it easier to order meals in advance and get them delivered to the right seat have led to a rebirth of special meals, once prized by savvy travelers as a way to get better-quality food at 35,000 feet.

Read the entire article here:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304178104579533823143732640.html

sobore, uggboy, gregm and 1 other person like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't read the article unless I subscribe to the WSJ online? :mad:

uggboy, MX and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to read it using a link provided by google. You may want to try simply putting the title in google. Sorry to hear about the problems accessing the article.

uggboy, WilliamQ, MX and 1 other person like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I google it, the only 2 links that match that story are both from WSJ. Can you please try to post the entire text? I want to read it!!

uggboy, Newscience and MX like this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you select "cached" option from Google search, you will be able to see the copy on a Google server, bypassing the WSJ.
    Here's the full copy.

uggboy, Newscience and gregm like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting. Now I don't have to try to figure out what the &%*$ you're talking about!!!:confused:

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    For some reason, I've always been intrigued with food 'up there'. I'm not picky, but don't like a ton of salt. Anyway, I'd rather eat in my seat as opposed to in an airport. When I travel internationally, I fare better. For my weekly domestic travel, I have to survive on the contents of the Delta F snack basket. I would buy food if they had it, but most of my flights aren't long enough for them to offer anything for sale. Good article. Thanks, @MX for throwing the whole thing on here.

uggboy, Newscience and MX like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a neat trick. Thanks for sharing!

uggboy and Newscience like this.