More restrictive TPAC stopover rules?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by unavaca, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it just me or are TPAC stopover rules getting more restrictive? These are both taken from W fares during the same travel season:

April 2010:

Stopover restrictions
    4 STOPOVERS PERMITTED LIMITED TO 2 FREE AND 2 AT USD 75.00 EACH. NONE IN JAPAN OUTBOUND. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.

March 2011:

Stopovers:
    2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH DIRECTION AT USD 100.00 EACH ONLY AT THE GATEWAY NONE IN GUAM PERMITTED IN AREA 3.

Based upon the wording, it sounds suspiciously like UA has taken CO's routing rules. Weak.

You used to be able to stopover at any city en-route in both directions (except in Japan on the way out). No more free trips to Tokyo for me. :( The "only at the gateway" is an extra screw for those people flying out of SFO.

2. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen these typesof routing rules a couple of years back when booking a United US-SIN ticket in H class. I did my NRT stop on the way back to the US., so I do not necessarily think this is due to UA adopting CO's routing rules in this case.

3. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is very interesting. I've seen both C:cool: take on some of UA's rules/restrictions, and UA take on some of CO's. I've detected no real patterns. Perhaps ;)thers have?

4. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Under these new rules, you would no longer be allowed to stop in NRT without causing a fare break (== significantly more expensive).

5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My fare rules for my SIN ticket were similar to this, and I did do the stop in NRT without it raising the fare price. I would try a booking with the multi city option on United.com and see what the results are.

6. pseudosphere
    Original Member

pseudosphere Silver Member

Status Points:
    In summer of 2010 the restriction on using Japan as a stopover point on the outbound wasn't even there, and even lower fares (I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think I recall S/T, maybe even K/L) had two free stopovers. That said, they were effectively being blocked by zeroing out inventory ex-NRT to the rest of Asia in the lower fare buckets.

7. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed this too. SFO-TPE (as a direct flight) has W and S space, as does SFO-NRT. NRT-TPE has nothing below a Q fare.

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting that they are making things like double open-jaws and open-jaw + stop over easier on awards and yet complex routings harder on purchased tickets.

My guess is that there are still a lot of kinks to be worked out as they stumble toward "customer day 1"

9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do recall that my United US-SIN with NRT stop on the return in 2009 had the restriction of no stopovers in NRT on the outbound.