More recent cut backs

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jakem4800, Jan 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No meal service in first class on flights under 3 hours 30 mins between 1:31pm- 4pm

2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meh. What is served? Snack basket only or ?

3. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Snack bites, with the small sandwiches, a step up from the snack basket lol what a bunch of cheap flakes

4. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was it under 1,000 miles? Not all flights that are 3:30-3:45 are exempt.

5. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm talking all flights Under 3:30 that take off between 1:31pm and 4pm doesn't matter the route, it's in their fine print that the stuck in there at the bottom of the page

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an SFO-DFW this week with a 1:25pm departure, blocked at 3:25, and it has a meal still. Looks like it misses the cutoff by 6 minutes.

7. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are EXP then it's a better deal not to get upgraded on those flights cause they serve you the meal and a drink in back...

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like having more than one drink and can't get too excited about a sandwich when I can have a hot meal up front. Add in a nicer seat and no one in the middle seat next to you. I'm not going to proactively elect to sit in coach. Even after 1:30 I don't want to sit in coach if F is an option.

9. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's their little sneaky move with the star *

Attached Files:

10. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lucky there my friend!

11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, the website clearly states that times are approximate. American bases it on miles scheduled to be flown more than the time it takes there. For example, only those routes that are exceptions get meal service. The asterisk you mention above only applies to exception markets, not all flights that are under 3:30. Therefore, the route has a lot to do with whether you are entitled to a meal in first class or not, regardless of the flight time.

I've also noticed that between 2-3ish or so, DCA-MIA routes do not get meals because this is outside of the "lunch" window for some reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I would certainly rather have the option than not (especially when I'm paying for F), the food is not really the lure for me. I like having the space and the lower pax:lav ratio. IME, however, the food up front on AA is better than that on UA. Not "good," but certainly not bad.

On the lav issue, I have noticed that AA doesn't seem to enforce the cabin separation at all. When flying ABQ-DFW this Thursday, I was unbuckling my seatbelt when a Y passenger came up and went into the lav. Stayed there for over 10 minutes. Just as the door opened, here comes another. I went up and started a line, as we were getting close to time to descend. Sure enough, the announcement was made just as I went in.

As a newly minted EXP (UA 1K convert), I'm not sure whether my recent experience is the norm or just a string of bad luck. Seven flights this week, all in F or J, and the service has been bad to mediocre. Even had a very mature FA try to tell me that there is no medical device exception to the 2 carry-on limit. :confused:

I'm still not disappointed with the switch. Never had an illusion that I was moving from bad to perfection. I'm just trying to learn what to expect so that I can adjust my habits accordingly.

14. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've also reduced the number of "select routes under 900 miles" that receive enhanced meal service. In Nov and Dec DEN was on that list to/from ORD (I flew it quite a few times), and it's gone now.