More "reasonable" award redemption options recently?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by geoffco, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm no apologist for DL. I was horrified at the ridiculous devaluation post merger.

Recently, however, I've managed to snag, for myself and others, several domestic round trips for 25k-32.5k. Most surprisingly was a LAX-DTW segment, 36 hours prior to departure, that showed F0Y4 on EF for 25k round trip.

A fluke, or has anyone else noticed better availability?

Mike1625 likes this.
  2. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked TPA - SJD for 50k RT in Y ..... not a great deal, but since it was for March and that is spring break time, I think I did pretty good ..... if anyone reading this can help me with a q - I am silver, with 48k MQM's, I would milage run for the 2 k needed to be gold medallion before the trip if I thought as gold, I would get at least one of the long ATL - SJD or back legs upgraded ... thoughts?

joesmoe likes this.
  3. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same availability that I always find. I checked IND-SAN IND-PHX IND-SAT IND-FLL IND-MCO IND-LAX IND-JFK for mid April and found 25,000 mile seats for all of those markets.

joesmoe likes this.
  4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not really an award, but upgrade seats. I found lots of Z inventory for April for JFK-IST-JFK. I saw any number of days that were Z9, which was quite a surprise considering availability in the past. The M fare is pricy, and DL's website is balky, but upgrades CAN be had.

Easiest international upgrade booking I've had on DL in ages.

5. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been booking a fair number of close-in awards recently, and have been able to find low award availability for every trip. (Not entirely related, but I just booked an award ticket to BUF for this weekend at 25k and have already been upgraded on 2 of 3 available segments.) I've also been pricing out PDX-ICN award tickets in BE for this Spring and found several days at 120k miles. (And, more importantly, I've found them by searching for BE awards with the itinerary, rather than the clustereff method of searching by segments in economy and finding the BE options.)

6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried looking for some PHX-CDG biz tickets for my brother for his 25th anniversary at the end of September. So far, only coming up with horrid 2x or higher itineraries. Worked for about 30 minutes last night, and tried some major hubs (DTW, MSP) as well, with nothing approaching low level.

I'll have to try some other options to see if I can come up with something reasonable. I'm fairly good at figuring out US-Asia, but don't do US-Europe awards often.

I've been shot down on all DL issued awards I've tried in the last week. Intra-Asia, US-Europe. They certainly don't make it easy.

7. I have been looking at CLE-MIA/FLL April 8-10. Availability seems to be getting worse as oppose to getting better. Maybe it will get better as it gets closer.

8. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doubtful for MIA/FLL that time of year. Anyone can fill a plane with paid passengers to South Florida in early April... even Delta :D

9. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I have redeemed 610k worth of tickets ALL at the low award: Hawaii, Europe in Business (4 seats), and it just seems to be really random. I'm a Diamond, but the availability was there if I was logged in or not at the low level. Only area I have had issues with is Asia ... just seems to be all mid or high for me.

10. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a lot of posts on FT indicating the close-in award availability has been pretty decent.

David

11. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i have found that to be the case as well. for whatever reason, DL tends to favor the <3 month bookings, or even less time. i was able to book an award T'giving trip (PIT-PHX) last fall, in October easily and the only reason i didn't choose the 25K but the 32.5K was schedule. but the 25K was very available which shocked me given that it was just under a month out at booking. of course this may isolated to certain routes so YMMV.

mrpickles likes this.
  12. briadavi
    Original Member

briadavi Active Member

Status Points:
    This afternoon I was able to get BNA-SEA for 25k with 3 days notice. There was plenty of V inventory as well.

13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of weeks ago I got a pair of TPA-BOM in J at the low level. For Oct/Nov travel. Had been watching it for about 2 weeks when it suddenly bopped down from medium to low, and the seat maps in J had not changed.

14. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to book a 100K BE award to FRA for my father about 3 weeks out. It's not the ATL-FRA direct he'd like (ATL-JFK-FRA -- no lie flats) but while I am a dutiful son, I draw the line at 200K BE awards :)

Also got a 32.5K award LAX-DSM for She Who Must Be Obeyed to visit Her mother, also 3 weeks out. Could have got it for 25K with inconvenient times and connections -- I consider that a 7.5K SkyMiles well spent.

I guess it has become a bit of a game of chicken -- how long can you wait? The problem is when you want one paid and one award to travel together -- then you either pay up the wazoo for the paid (if you wait) or the award (if you book early).