More OLCI problems and the "reissue" solution

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today DL would not let me do OLCI for a flight even though I had received the "time to check in" email and the red check in now button appeared on my DL homepage and throughout delta.dumb for me. It insisted that my passport data was incorrect and I should check in with an agent at the airport.

I called the DM line where the agent did something like the following:

tells me to try again

tells me to log out and try again

looks at my ticket and reservation and says everything looks OK, which I know because I had someone check this for me a few days ago

puts me on hold to call IT support because the tech tuneup over the weekend could have caused problems and the DL website OLCI had been down earlier today

tells me IT said to log out and try again

puts me on hold for a while and then triumphantly tells me that he has reissued the ticket for me (why?)

tells me to try again

long hold waiting for him to call IT support again

tells me to try again

tells me to try again in an hour or two

RESOLUTION. About a half hour later, I was able to do OLCI with the same passport information. However, all of the junk that prints with boarding passes seemed to be messed up with lots of blank pages printing, although the boarding passes are OK and could be printed using the "print without destination information" option.

However, what an enormous waste of time!

And furthermore, I find the DL solution of just trying to reissue the ticket for no real reason a bit scarey at the very least. In this case, I am upgrading using SWUs that have already expired, so the reissue could have messed that up. It seems like a waste of resources and it can be confusing when a ticket has been exchanged several times as each time it seems to only show the immediate predecessor ticket number, so that one must dig back through different emails or receipts to see the original ticket.

Moreover, I fear that someday when I request reimbursement, someone will question why I didn't purchase the ticket much earlier. In this case, it now looks like I purchased the ticket about fifteen hours before the first flight, although at least not on the day of travel.

Finally, if I hadn't pick up on the agent's offhand comment that he had been busy having the ticket reissued while I was on hold, I would have been unaware of this. If I then had had trouble checking in at the airport, I would not have known the correct current ticket number, which can be a relatively foolproof way of enabling someone to find an otherwise irretrieveably lost ticket. Fortunately, I was able to print a hard copy of the new ticket, verify for myself that it said G class, and email the new receipt to myself.

During the check in process that finally worked, delta.dumb told me my upgrade was confirmed (duh, it was when I purchased the ticket and had it immediately reissued with the upgrade) and offered to show me the upgrade wait list, which then said zero people. Has anyone ever seen this before when the upgrade has already been confirmed?

2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you did not get Chisolm!!!

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, SLC. How one must suffer to be a DM rather than a PM!

USAF_Pride likes this.