More moderators?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by traveltoomuch, Jul 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the (relative) number of spam threads/messages coming through, and some of them persisting for >24 hours as we've seen this week, I think we should empower a few more people to wield moderator privileges. I don't know how many moderators we have now, but we are clearly not getting enough moderator coverage.

I'm even happy leaving the "thoughtful" moderation activity - promoting civility and disciplining members - to the crew in place now, but I think we need a few more hands able to step in on short notice for both the very obvious things (like spam) or when people are on holiday.

MX, HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  2. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    I was sick and I promise it won't happen again :p That said, there is definitely something wrong with the spam settings. I changed them once upon a time and things seemed to be going well - I'm guessing an update to the forum must have defaulted some things.

As for moderators: it's on my list to rethink before the redesign launches. I'll talk to the all-powerful Founders about it and see where everyone's head is at on the matter.

MX and uggboy like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Once upon a time Guides could do some anti-spam stuff (delete spam, ban users) but then that capability was transferred to a small anti-spam super-user team. We can still edit posts (so I'll whitefont spams to hide them whilst awaiting moderation), but that is pretty weak.

Randy has some major changes promised, but I don't have a clue what those are...

mevlannen, uggboy and MX like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I for one trust Gargoyle to not abuse any powers he might be entrusted with.

Gargoyle for Moderator 2015

Counsellor, uggboy, MX and 3 others like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Those all-powerful founders discussed this when Mark had the audacity to get sick. In light of some changes that were made, we think that further tweaking of the spam settings can resolve this. We're open to exploring moderators who work on spam only but the thought is not fully baked.

uggboy and traveltoomuch like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Pizzaman, that gets into a real controversy. Is it only acceptable as fully baked if it is a true Chicago deep dish pizza, or are those skinny cardboard thin crust New York pizzas also classified as being "baked"? And where do California pizzas, with avocado and pineapple, fit in, God forbid?

For that matter, what do they eat in Colorado, Tequila Pizza?

uggboy and traveltoomuch like this.
  7. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Gargoyle is an excellent choice. @Kalboz is also an excellent person to choose.
    I had on this board when I was Adam Efimoff an awful bullying situation which made me go from this site

8. adamefimoff2

Status Points:
    Can we have a dedicated luxury hotels one 2?

9. adamefimoff2

Status Points:
    that was really funny

10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    There certainly needs to be some effort to move threads that are no longer being discussed in the General Discussion / Travel forum to the appropriate Travel Destination forum as the latter certainly is lacking content and could use the boost of content.

If this is not a long range focus then just eliminate Travel Destination & have a free for all forum to contain travel discussion.