More Miles Required for VS Then *A?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by aussieflyer, Aug 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Searching on CO.com for MIA-DXB, it shows 60k miles required (OW) for business class on *A partners but for VS the required mileage is 85k.

When I click through it shows MIA-LHR in I class (Business) and LHR-DXB in G (Upper Class).

This is the first time I've seen this so I'm a bit confused.
    Being that VS doesn't have a business and first class, shouldnt upper class be 60k like the regular *A business.
    And besides, first class should only be 75k so how for they get 85k?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't that you are getting an F award; it is that you are flying VS beyond LHR. CO has had higher rates on VS redemptions beyond LHR for Africa and the Middle East for a while now. If you read the PDF award chart you should be able to see the details.

Million Mile Secrets likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sir Richard Branson has deemed it a premium to fly his own airline so be prepared to cough up with what the Wandering Aramean said...

4. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I see it now.
    But its not on my favourite "How much is that award" tool made by you know who... :p

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :oops:

When the original data structures were built the site couldn't handle the extra "type" of award of having more than one different partner award. I had to fix that to get the BA awards into the system so I now can actually support it. I suppose that's one thing I could work on during the few hours of down time I'll have tomorrow watching the city float away.

MSPeconomist and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this is true for the Middle East and it is quite annoying, but for Africa?? Last time I looked into VS it was 60K each way in Upper Class..

I have also seen some US-LHR-HKG awards on VS Upper Class and the levels were the same as LH Biz class...

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The chart states, "***Amounts vary based on operating carrier. In the Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia, the higher amounts apply to itineraries that include Virgin Atlantic."
    ETA: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/news/continental_onepass_rewards_2011.pdf

Yup, because HKG isn't in any of those regions. ;)

8. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha... It is weird because I looked up on CO.com and found biz class award Oct 18-25, EWR-LHR-CPT-JNB-LHR-EWR on CO/VS/SA for 120K miles... No extra mileage surcharges for VS... Got me a little worried for a bit, because VS is the best airline when it comes to award availability for business class awards to Central/South Africa compared to other *A partners and it would suck if I had to pay a premium for that... Flying on an award in C would be much more difficult if CO/UA ends the VS partnership since FRA-JNB on LH is already extremely difficult as it is to find C space...