More high mileage rental cars are on the road, some customers complain of problems

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Oct 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/money/consu...be-checked-before-taking-them-out-on-the-road

If you ever rent a car, we have an important consumer alert for you. More and more renters are complaining about breakdowns, after receiving a car with tens of thousands of miles on it.

For Joanie Flaig, her husband, and daughter, it was to be the trip of a lifetime, to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon.
    But they didn't expect they'd have to make the trip in a rental car from a major agency with a sputtering engine and worn tires.

"My husband noticed that the drivers side rear tire was completely bald. He said, wow, we have a long way to go, that could be an issue," Flaig said.
    Joanie says they were several hundred miles from the rental counter when their Chrysler 200, with more than 45 thousand miles on the odometer, started exhibiting middle aged car problems.

We were somewhere between the Wyoming Utah border, in the middle of mountains, no cell coverage, and the engine light came on," Flaig said.
    Turns out it was leaking coolant.

" We opened it up and noticed it had less than a cup of water, and hardly any coolant whatsoever," Flaig said.

Joanie and her family managed to limp it to another rental office, where they traded the Chrysler for another car.

But the Wall Street Journal says this is becoming more common, as rental fleets get older and older.

Read More: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/money/consu...be-checked-before-taking-them-out-on-the-road

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed that high mileage. Why, last week my Sixt car at MIA had 4408 miles when I left.:rolleyes: Not only that but they upgraded me to a Mercedes E-class. It is just awful, simply awful!:p

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who accepts a car with bald tires has to shoulder a large portion of the blame. I rather suspect the renter in the example quoted about went with
    the cheapest rate from " Crazy Joes Rent a Wreck"

Not buying the "coolant" part of the story either if the light came on the driver would not be able tell how little coolant was in the engine ...and if he saw half a cup in the
    reservoir then that would not be the cause of the overheating problem.

Four National rentals in the last two weeks for me ... two cars had under 2000 miles and the other two under 4000 miles.

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Twice in the past year, I was the first to drive the brand new rental.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rented a mid size got upgraded to this full size, I'm pretty darn pleased.

[​IMG]

gregm likes this.