More fun on the Airtrain

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by viguera, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems 140 people on the Airtrain this Saturday got to spend some quality time together when the train stopped running around 5:30pm.

The things are automated so there's no conductor to talk to, and pressing the emergency intercom yielded no results.

After about an hour somebody must have noticed the train wasn't running back and forth from the terminal, I suppose, because that's when someone sent for help. Passengers had to be evacuated and walked nearly a mile on the elevated platform between the tracks to get to the station.

The Port Authority is blaming Bombadier, since apparently they make the train (nevermind the fact that you'd figure someone at the airport should be looking after the train to make sure it's running :) ).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/n...rss&adxnnlx=1346079675-uCFvjVlQnwndoGO4Ib2Hmw

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    And it didn't occur to any of the 140 people to take out their mobile and dial 911?

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure it's 911-worthy, since it doesn't sound like imminent danger to people or property, but calling the airport would have made sense for sure. I'm sure it could be hard to figure out whom to call Maybe they should add a phone number to the signage on the intercoms?

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint