More $$ for bumps - CNN article

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by syphlix, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I really wonder how long it will take before the airlines figure out how to overcome this. I have mixed feelings about it; do I want more for a bump? Will it cause the airlines to never overbook? A lot of moving parts here.

3. scotty00
    Original Member

scotty00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being "good" at getting bumped has nothing to do with it; the increased rates are only for involuntary bumps.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the airlines need to overcome this- as long as they can ensure the last minute seats they are selling gain more revenue than the cost of a VOLUNTARY bump- they are in great shape. Flying out of Bangkok on Monday night- I saw a couple checking in next to me take a 750 EUR cash payment plus a 4* hotel stay paid with meals in downtown Bangkok and next day confirmed flight- they were thrilled, and the airline accomplished what they wanted- sold another couple of tickets for presumably far more than 750 EUR- in fact I was quite envious I didn't have the time to take advantage of the offer (when I was younger and had more free time/less responsibility I used to do this whenever possible- favorite ever was taking a voluntary bump in Buenos Aires with 500 USD cash + hotel + travel voucher + confirmed business class the next day travel- big win at the time!). People simply need to understand the difference bewteen voluntary and involuntary bumps- which the press does a terrible job of explaining consistently- you would think CNN could at least get it right being based in Atlanta- perhaps they could drive all the way out to the Delta operation centre and have someone explain it to them with a childrens picture book....

JohnDeere19 and wanderwoman like this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you really think Delta is capable of drawing a children's picture book...?

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  6. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as it's not the IT dept... :p

JohnDeere19 likes this.