more fare increases

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    TV news is reporting that DL and US are increasing many domestic fares by $10. It's supposedly DL's eighth fare increase so far in 2011. No mention so far of international fares today.

2. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or at least their 8th attempt to increase fares. The last one, at least, was rolled back and I believe I've read about other attempts failing as well.

KENNECTED likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll see how UA/CO and AA respond. Apparently US is already on board for now. The "try a fare increase and see if others follow" strategy is standard, not just in the airline industry.

4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you try often enough, it is likely the fare increase will stick. :(

5. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only if the market will support it....not sure the frequency of attempts is a big factor.

6. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    These fair increases are usually about $10 on average. Not sure I'd even notice, when the fares are already much higher than last year with the fuel surcharge.

7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the fare increase on TATL that was put in place recently has been rolled back as well. I'm keeping my eye on some dates and preferred routings to fall under $800 to use FlexPoints, and was greatly displeased with a $40-ish increase last week or thereabouts. Now it's back to where it was before.

8. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    The few revenue tickets I have booked have been very volatile in their pricing, $400 one day, $150 2 days later, $300, $78 when I actually purchased. I am not sure these CNN fare hikes are anything other than fluff to fill the airwaves.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just observed a trip (where I was ticketed in T for super cheap just over a week before departure) go from a H fare at $338 to an H fare at $540, It seems to be the same fare code and I didn't look at the fare rules, but it seemed strange that the same fare class would increase so much for exactly the same dates where there's still plenty of space available.

There was no attempt to convince me to take an upsale to a P fare. The FC cabin was totally empty (of 16 FC seats) for both flights before the DM/PM window.

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw a set of fares I was watching literally double overnight a couple of weeks ago. 4 days later they came back down to a level about 5% above where they were before they doubled. Had they not doubled, I probably would have bought them the day they increased. In the interim, we made other plans for the dates in question. Oh, well.

11. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    most of you need to keep in mind what days these fares are fluctuating, as well. Friday through Monday are the worst days to buy. Tuesday thru Thursday are the best. Fortunately bought my CHA-SAT ticket more than a week ago for $220. Worse times this week and starting at $265.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  12. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buying in advance too and when you see T fares you know you have the lowest fare class...

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes with DL, it's better not to buy too far in advance.

KENNECTED and DeltaExpert like this.
  14. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, depending what fare bracket is open at that time, but if I find a T a few months out, I will usually take it.

15. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My experience is much the same. Fares are higher further out, dip within 4-6 weeks of a flight, then climb the last week or two.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes they dip further about ten days before the flight when the aircraft are pretty empty. For example, I just got a domestic T class RT for $138 nine days before departure. At seven days, it was H at $338 and then a day or two later, H still but now for a price of $540. I don't remember the prices I saw a month earlier, but I think they were in the $300-400 range for most schedules using mainline/nonstops.

17. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agree. That happens sometimes, too. In any event, there's often a dip in fares, it's not even close to the old "book early for best fares" story. Except maybe for Thanksgiving.

18. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few weeks ago I was looking at LAX-FRA and it was $1300-$1500 for late May and early June (was $300 less last year). Just checked after getting back from CPH and now my dates are up to $1700. I hope they have a full plane because I'm not going at that price!

19. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, in certain countries, this kind of 'piece-by-piece', and/or 'surge' presentation increase is considered borderline legal (i.e. In Israel, DL was forced in small claim court to pay several customers back fuel surge, and to my best knowledge they have pending cases for the international surge fee.)
    In particular, the increase to decrease (i.e. we would increase the price by 20 dollars tomorrow! book today... followed by a reduction within a two-three week period may be subject to some 'nice' fines.)
    I am still wondering when would someone challenge additional fees on skymiles tickets.

***Oh, yes- just arrived from the FT side; hello to new (and not so new) faces***

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, it's great to have you here. Welcome.

21. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!