More disruption at Qantas

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by uggboy, Sep 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    More disruption at Qantas:(

Almost 8,500 Qantas domestic and international passengers will have their travel plans disrupted tomorrow due to unions intentionally going on strike on one of the busiest days for air travel for the year.

Qantas has been forced to delay 39 flights by up to an hour and cancel another two flights on the eve of the AFL and NRL Grand Finals and during school holidays due to strikes by the Transport Workers Union (TWU) and the Australian Licenced Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA).

MORE!>http://www.businesstraveller.com/middle-east/news/fresh-disruption-at-qantas

2. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA) federal secretary Steve Purvinas said "it would be a lengthy campaign and the union had said all along that the dispute would probably last for a year."

uggboy likes this.
  3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have less and less sympathy the more I read about these strikers.

I read in one of the weekend Australian papers that with the proposed pay increased an engineer would be on $140k a year and some of the pilots make $380k a year. Am I supposed to feel sorry for these people??

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Engineers and pilots are highly paid people and as we all know the cost of living goes up and up and up! Let's only hope that lower salary levels go up as well not just for people who have already enough $$$$. or earn enough $$$$..!!!:cool:

6. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is Qantas is becoming an airline with those who get paid far too much for what they do verus those who get paid appalling wages.

I think the FA's are a classic example. The old timers who have been there for a million years are sitting pretty, raking in the big bucks with their cushy schedules. Compare that to new recruits who are on contract, get flogged for unreasonable flying hours (yes I mean you Jetstar) and to make ends meet they live on the smell of an oily rag all for the love of flying.

Can't remember where I hear it either or when, but I believe that those who staff the check-in counters are not that well paid either, which may in part account for their attitudes.

I think the problem is management wants to break the unions and I can understand why. However, it would be a big pity if all the employees were only making what Jetstar staff do, it would mean one miserable flying experience.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    "If I was a passenger I wouldn't be purchasing a ticket with them at this stage."
    What a stupid thing to say. How many engineers would Qantas need if they have no customers?

Toula and LETTERBOY like this.