More Dilution of AAdvantage Status?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Does this "shortcut" to status dilute the benefits of existing AAdvantage members?

1. Yes

58.5%
  2. No

34.1%
  3. Not Sure

7.3%
  1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend received this email today (images removed to fit Milepoint posting requirements and personal info redacted):

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's 15K for Gold, 30K for Platinum and 75K for Executive Platinum if you expand it over the year's term. As an EXP I don't feel too threatened - everyone that was going to make it will and all the UA folks are already here and the numbers are still small. As a PLT or GLD I'd worry about being able to ever use my e-500 upgrades again. It'll also likely be a race for the exit rows on booking now, too... and more competition for MCE when it delivers.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow... I don't even know if it's targeted because I received no such email, but aa.com/offers allowed me to register just the same.

But IMO it's bad because those levels are pretty ridiculous considering how little it would cost with the current promos to rack up the miles. Makes "earning" status the old fashioned way almost pointless.

marcwint55 and mrredskin like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on who they offered it to. Delta did similar last year, except segment-based. I think I had something like "fly 6 segments, get platinum". The actual effect of the enlarged elite pool is impossible to judge. Upgrades have been marginally more difficult this year, but I've been on tougher routes a bit more.

wrxmom and marcwint55 like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Historically AA had validated on the back-end, while DL has validated on the front end.

In other words, signing up is no real indicator that AA considers you eligible.

zpaul and marcwint55 like this.
  6. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA is quite adept at sifting out non-eligible enrollees.

7. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I've hit my miles for ExP but would have definitely done this promo as it's pretty damn easy!

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will have little if any effect.

Nearly every BtoC offers promos for folks to hit a higher tier than they normally would. Few folks once at the higher tiers stay there.
    While we like to think most consumers are like MPers and wouldn't dream of giving up status, this just isn't the case, so I don't feel it will dilute my AA status.

With this promo, I'm waiting for the "I earned AA ExP the hard way" folks to come out of the woodwork.

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well I'm long requalified for next year so naturally I think they ought to increase the miles needed for everyone else to make EXP...

snowpuff, zpaul, Travelsavant and 2 others like this.
  10. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually the people these types of promos are targeted are those that have purchased several full fare Y tickets. Even if they get the EXP status - they need to fly to benefit from it. So if they slow down after the first of the year, then the impact is less.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA has been running status matches, status challenges, DEQM, TEQM, etc... for as long as I've been an AA elite. I'm still waiting for the dilution to happen. This won't be any different.

zpaul, wrxmom, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the wrong response. You are supposed to stomp you feet, bang the table, then rant and rave while starting 42 different threads on here and FT at what an outrage this is and then ask who is with you on a lawsuit against AA to prevent the devaluation of your elite benefits. ;)

zpaul, marcwint55 and Scottrick like this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm much too lazy for all that. :)

14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got 24,388 miles until EXP...with 1,000 in flights next week, plus follow on travel, I guess I'll earn it the old fashioned way... :D

15. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    so just because you register and it accepts doesn't mean you will actually get it? that's pretty sh****

zpaul, marcwint55 and Sweet Willie like this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The rules of the promo say you need to be targeted to get the offering. I don't see it as any different than someone failing to follow any of the other rules of the promo such as flying the require amount of miles, etc.

17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, however AA's IT should be advanced enough to say to someone who is trying to register that they don't qualify for blah blah blah reason(s). The registration should not be allowed to go through for those not targeted.

18. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    And based on me being able to successfully register for a promotion, that should imply that I am able to reep the benefits of it.

Macchiavellito and marcwint55 like this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it can certainly work better, but I don't take the stand that people are deceived either. It's spelled out right there for people in the T&Cs, so no confusion really.

AA should join the rest of 2012 and update its IT system, but honestly this is rather low on the list of many tech issues they have and is covered by the T&Cs. The update on the IT end would just be reiterating what is already stated.

marcwint55 likes this.
  20. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do I actually know that I wasn't targeted, though? Maybe my spam filter picked it up instead of delivering it to my inbox? I have an AA card, so I could have been selected based on that?

marcwint55 likes this.
  21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Call and ask? Check your spam filter?

Thinking logically, I'd probably wonder where you got the code to begin with if you hadn't been targeted. A travel website? A friend? A travel blogger? It had to come from somewhere.

We don't disagree that it would be best if AA updated their IT to tell people on the front end that they're not qualified. We seem to diverge about how serious an issue it is though. The average, every day consumer really isn't effected by this to any large degree. This is really just annoying to those individuals who are active in travel communites like FT and MP who are attempting to take advantage of promos they aren't qualified for.

22. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my colleagues received this offer, as well.

marcwint55 likes this.
  23. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    An endless debate. I'm sure the OP would be happy as a clam if he was behind on re-qualifying if he received this email, but this year he's in the clear, so it becomes a dilution. If he was behind, he would be screaming for more DEQM (which of course would be subject to where you stand if it's a dilution or not) ;)

How will this impact the current top tier members? Historically, nothing at all

zpaul, mrredskin and marcwint55 like this.
  24. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow ... I for one hope it works for me. I have ~9300 miles to be flown in AA in Oct/Nov. If I am elibigle i'll have to fly another ~700 and get Platinum?
    That works for me.

And Sorry if you feel as though AA is diluting its elite programs to let ppl like me in ... but seeing as I've never had elite status ever I'm actually pretty excited about earning my first elite status anywhere. (besides Silver @ MP :) )

marcwint55 and MX like this.
  25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Respectfully, pttthhhH! :p

In all seriousness, I'm not upset about the offer - and I'm not particularly worried about benefits for me. I'm not in a hub city so I trump lots of folks simply by starting at a more remote airport. I've also seen a number that only about 6% of an airline's fliers are top tier elite (not counting CK), so I'm not worried about 6.5 or 7% vs. 6%. The worrying part is a tacit admission from American that to retain or attract business that they must significantly lower their standards in terms of top-tier customers. Perhaps they know this will just make it easier for someone to toss more secondary business at them - perhaps they expect to draw away top customers from other airlines. I don't know. But every customer they court other than me... well... :)

Let's be fair. I gave my dad Gold status with my BE points. He'll earn it Q1 next year himself through passing 1MM on AA. Technically, I diluted the pool by gifting him status. And AA probably does a lot more of this than we know via business travel managers (I'd hope they do). Anything to keep them profitable beats them going teats up on me - that's for sure.

I really feel for the GLD and PLT members. All in all PLT will likely feel the squeeze most, I'd guess.

wrxmom and marcwint55 like this.