More Deltafication of MSP

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Jun 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't flown through MSP on DL for a month or more, be warned: the layout of the departures area (counters and designated security checkpoints) has been changed in order (I was told by several staff) to more closely resemble DL's terminal at ATL. The staff members I talked with emphatically do not think this is a good idea and told me they tried to object, but were told that it had to be like ATL.

In the past, the Sky Priority area (counters, kiosks, and enforced security line) were all located roughly in the center of DL's real estate on the landside departures level at MSP. I would always ask to be dropped off under the second skyway to general parking or, when I drive to the airport, I aim for the red or gold ramp, ideally level 3 (skyway) and then when I take the escalator down from the skyway from the parking ramp, I would be almost in front of the SkyPriority entrance.

If I follow the same path into the terminal now, I find myself in front of a huge special services counter area with a dragon and lots of velvet ropes. This is for people travelling with pets and for unaccompanied minor services, presumably among other functions. The old SkyPriority checkpoint just to the left of this area still operates (without a nude-o-scope so far, exiting toward Chili's and the F/G SC) but it and the new SkyPriority checkpoint will close at 9 pm, I was told. Most coach passengers and AFAIK FOs are funneled still to the far left of the terminal for check in, bag drop, and security with nude-o-scopes that leads toward the duty free store and the floor sloping down toward the G gates.

The new SkyPriority is at the far right of DL's space, near the center of the terminal and other carriers. It has two angled banks of about ten kiosks each sitting in the middle of the approach to the bag drop counters. (This seems like a bigger version of the setup at RDU.)The SkyPriority check in service counters are to the right of the do-it-yourself area and have lots and lots of velvet rope, forcing people to walk a path back and forth before seeing an agent. The DL elite security entrance is on the curb side of this and leads to a checkpoint also without nude-o-scope so far. A dragon was present when I checked it out and she seemed ready to actively verify documents.

The bottom line for DL elites at MSP:

If you're being dropped off at the terminal, aim for the very center, earlier than before and plan to dodge passengers hunting other carriers.

If you're driving, which ramp you use makes little difference, except if you want a bird's eye view of the DL areas as you enter the terminal. Plan to walk back and forth in the terminal more than before, both landside and then to reach the F/G SC (although you're now slightly closer to the C SC).

Just in case it's not already obvious, IMO this is misconceived. If it's not broken, please don't try to fix it DL.

BondAir007, DeltaExpert and ryandc99 like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds ridiculous. I feel kind of strange having not departed from MSP in quite a while - somehow ended up with things falling through this month, and last month just ended up being one 20-day long trip. 2 months without departing from MSP, and they go and change it all on me.

The previous setup was great.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree; it worked very well before DL changed it. I was shocked to see the changes.

Now with the angled kiosk islands facing each other, there's no room for agents to be near the kiosks to help. Moreover, it now requires two steps (kiosk and then the counter behind them with the bag drop agents) to print a boarding pass and check a bag. Not an improvement at all, even without considering the extra walking. All the "velvet rope" makes me wonder if they're expecting/planning long SkyPriority lines.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sucks, but it's to be expected, and will probably get "worse" for people comfortable with the old setup.

I've worked at companies that spent millions changing perfectly good carpet, cubicle setups and conference rooms when they lease an office building or even just a floor. They consider it corporate identity, and I have no doubt this is what DL is planning for any major hub.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you not like the new Sky Priority checkin? I have not been there recently? Any way to post pictures next time?

6. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had no issues with it about a week ago. Actually thought it had more kiosks available which is a good thing in my book.

Traveller likes this.
  7. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    MKE seems to be doing something similar. Now that DL is forcing "self check in" (which is a total joke if ANYTHIING is going on, DOES NOT like code shares, DOES NOT do multiple countries, etc......

Now the SP is almost hidden. If you look at the counter area, turn around, go to the left, and hidden behind flight monitors you'll find the SP check in. There is barely a sign there. I agree with MSPeconomist -- DO NOT FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  8. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. I see a new slogan here..."Delta. We fix what's not broken, and leave what's broken alone*."

*Check out our awesome seat change and award booking functions! :confused::p

traveller99 and USAF_Pride like this.
  9. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new layout is not great. Too many velvet ropes! The new cattle lanes. "moo mooove it, DM, PM, and GM moo moo"

10. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000

11. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We connect thru MSP all the time; haven't had to originate/terminate their in quite a while. Will get to try it out on Christmas Eve this year when we head for Boston. I do like the new slogan! :)

12. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will see what it looks like next time I'm through. I wasn't a particular fan of the old setup.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like SkyPriority in general, but the new set-up doesn't make sense and all of the velvet ropes don't seem very classy at all as a way to handle elite and premium cabin passengers.

The problem with the new location of the kiosk banks is that they're too close together, so that there's no privacy and no good place to put your luggage so that you can control it while you're using the kiosk.

Normally I do OLCI so that when I use the airport kiosk, it's because something is wrong. It doesn't help to be forced to try the kiosk when there's no agent nearby to help; this just wastes my time and forces me to possibly stand in line and move my luggage twice rather than once.

The last time I was in ATL you could get to the SkyPriority check in counters without first tripping over the kiosk banks or being forced to try a kiosk, although it ATL it seems like everything is oriented at an angle in the DL kiosk and counter area.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the rope is tacky. I think they are taking this from some of the FE carriers (think CX and SQ). I guess it is to enforce the "exclusivity" of the cabin. It can be an issue with the lavs I guess. I was in BE and they weren't happy that I went under the rope and crossed the mid cabin lav to come back and use the lav. Seriously, I was just trying to avoid climbing over people and going to the closer lav away from the cockpit. But whatever.

At ATL, I was advised to go to kiosk rather than F desk at it would be faster. But that was before SP. I wish SP was a "lounge check in" style. But that'll never happen.

Dave

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rope at MSP looks nothing at all like SQ or CX does. They have a completely separate counter area for SkyPriority, but to actually get up to the counter, even if there's no one in line, you must walk back and forth the length of their special counter area six or eight times, through a narrow cattle chute, until you get to the front for the next agent. This looks seriously tacky and suggests that the waits in line are horrendous at times. When (almost) no one is waiting, why not just walk up by the direct path instead of being forced to zigzag with luggage? It's the same for SkyPriority security: you must get your jogging exercise before you can arrive at the document checker. It's silly and reminds me more of Southwest than SQ or CX.

Davescj likes this.