More delays, more American Airlines cancellations expected from Miami airport fuel fire

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by stuartfla, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight made it in tonight but the airport is a mess and the cancellations on the board for both tonight and tomorrow look daunting! Beware if you are going or transiting MIA for the next few days at least.

"At least 169 flights have been canceled at Miami International Airport Thursday after a massive overnight fuel tank fire that has created a major disruption for American Airlines, the airport’s biggest carrier, and stranded or delayed thousands of passengers....With the main fueling system damaged in the fire, the airport is using tanker trucks, a much slower process, airport spokesman Chin said. Thirty fuel trucks are being used.
    The airport has a complex set of large fuel tanks, called a fuel farm, from which fuel is pumped to be put into airplanes. There are 16 pumps, but only six can be used at a time, and most or all are not working."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/...t-at.html?asset_id=2131554&asset_type=gallery

KimK likes this.
  2. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got caught in this MIA nightmare this morning, two flights cancelled and EXP working on re-route options. Bad day to fly through MIA - my luck

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice catchy screen name I bet you thought it would impress us mightly?:rolleyes:

Your comments about what is occurring at MIA , unfortunate as it may be bears not relationship to whats happening on the ground. Where you got the 80% capacity operation back to normal surely is a figment of your imagination.
    Its not back to 80% even today.

MIA is one of AA's biggest hubs with by far the most International flights in their system and priority has been given and quite rightly so to widebody operations. As far I can tell AA is doing an admirable job handling a situation which is not of their own doing with multiple of thousands of pax to rebook etc each day.

Do you have status with AA? I suspect no as it might have helped in your situation (but again the CO statement "it doesnt cost them anything is a bit silly)

While I understand you frustration one has to temper their expectiions in unusual situations
    30 more hours in the "crime infested pit" ( a description I might have heard applied to NYC also:)) I wont ask why you were there in the first place plus 20 hours in DFW is not the end of the world. If you got caught upin a hurricane your kids would have missed schiool too right?

Enjoy CO

4. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/29/2139850/miami-international-plans-to-run.html

Miami International plans to run full flight schedule Wednesday

American Airlines says no flights from Miami will be canceled on Wednesday, if all goes according to plan.

(Tempted to comment on that AA hates post but I will just say that AA did as good a job as any carrier could under the circumstances, MIA and Miami-Dade county's operation is another story.)

KimK likes this.
  5. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see and hear this news!!!!! Thought it would have taken MIA longer and kudos to AA for staying on top of this!

6. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any update on how flights were today? Flying out tomorrow and hoping for no surprises.