More DCA Perimeter Rule Exceptions Coming!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sean, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Local news is reporting that the Senate is near a compromise that would allow for up to 24 additional slots to be made available at DCA for travel beyond the 1,250 mile perimeter. Apparantly 8 of these slots would go to new entrants while 16 are reserved for incumbants.

Hoping for DCA-SFO or DCA-LAX!

mht_flyer and tjtenor4 like this.
  2. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be excellent news.

Now the real question: Assuming UA/CO can get their hands on a large chunk of these, does this open the way for something like a DCA-based p.s. service with a couple of morning frequencies and a couple in the evening?

3. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent news.
    With all the problems facing the U.S. I find it idiotic that the Senate is worried about landing slots at an airport.

4. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great news. For clarification: Does this mean they are

a) adding 24 total slots, all of which are perimeter-exempted;
    b) allowing 24 existing slots to be peremeter-exempted;
    c) adding 8 perimeter-exempted slots and allowing 16 existing slots to become perimeter-exempted?

I was under the impression that there's not really any room in the schedule to add any more slots to DCA, so I'm guessing it's B... but I could be wrong.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be shocked if:
    • CO/UA realized any significant number of the 16 (8 pair or 16 pair??);
    • p.s. service shows up at either IAD or DCA.

6. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    16 slots = 8 pairs. :lightbulb:

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that you really have to look at where the airlines would fly with the extra slots in a way that would justify the slots in a way that would make Congress happy. LAX is definitely getting increased service, the only question is which airline is going to provide it (AA, DL, or UA). US is doubtful to transition their slots to long-range, simply because of their network structure having no real reason to stretch to the cities that would make it worth it. SFO is a lock since it is currently not served, and offers great connecting opportunities to the west.

For new entrants, I really see this as an opportunity for Westjet, since they are one of the few new entrants with the ability to fly an exempted route.

8. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate to suggest it, but I imagine WN could try for a DCA-LAS flight... [​IMG]

9. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    True enough, but because many facets of the District are under direct congressional control, this is how it goes...

Mackieman likes this.
  10. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they joined in the LAX route, or even SAN. Currently BWI-SAN is their longest segment.

11. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a quick read on the article below but it looks like the deal could lead to your option A, with the possibility of additional existing slots being converted to long distance traffic.

Here's the article:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/polit...may-add-long-distance-flights-reagan-national

There could be something lost in translation, but from the article above it sounds like its 24 slot pairs, as the article mentions 24 new flights.

12. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This seems right up DL's alley. I would expect to see Delta apply for at least half of the slot pairs for DCA-LAX 757 service.

I'm not sure if UA would want to dilute its LAX/SFO-IAD operation by adding additional flights at DCA, but I'm sure they'll submit an application for the slots to protect their turf. Watch for 737-700s or A319s to keep capacity in check.

13. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would actually probably be UA's smartest move (in terms of protecting IAD) - win as many of these routes as possible, and then put the smallest birds on them.

14. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Washington DC resident I'm actually torn on whether or not I want this to go through. For sure, DCA-LAX/SFO would be awesome.

However such expansion could affect the bond rating of any future offerings from Dulles airport, which could make it harder or more expensive to fund an upgrade to Dulles C/D midfield terminals.

15. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or US Airways...

16. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    US has not divested much at DCA, and they would be a viable candidate for some of those slots.

I was thinking perhaps Virgin America to LAX and or SFO from DCA...

17. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like DCA-SFO/LAX on UA as much as the next guy, but I'm not holding my breath. Especially for low fares on the routes.

As for PS... Dream on!

18. fozz
    Original Member

fozz Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're assuming P.S. stays. I also doubt that DCA could support a P.S. style service.

19. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    p.s. will stay. Whether or not it remains a three-class product or devolves to two is another question. Either way, it will almost certainly remain confined to the city pairs it currently serves.

20. fozz
    Original Member

fozz Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's no longer the three-cabin service it currently is, is it still P.S. at that point? One could simply just call it BusinessFirst ala DL.

21. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, sure - but that would still be a different (and better) domestic product than UA operates on any other route (international equipment repositioning flights notwithstanding). It might not maintain the "p.s." moniker; it might not maintain three cabins - but it will still be a "special" product with superior forward-cabin seating. Additionally, the ratio of C to Y (even excluding F) on UA's p.s. birds far exceeds the ratio on DL's flights.

22. fozz
    Original Member

fozz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I think the upgrades on $99 T fares are not going to be around for too long. :(

23. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that there are actually free slots at DCA right now, they're just not at ideal times so they're unused...like they're in the 9-10pm block...

But even if that's true, I would agree that B is most likely.

24. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ehh... there will be a veritable riot among the ranks of 1Ks if CR-1s are not usable on p.s. flights, similar to when we were told they were going away when UDU was implemented. That's the one time I've ever written a physical letter (7 pages) to UA about anything, and our (the FF community's) efforts were successful then... I imagine they'd be successful again if the backlash were strong enough. I think the more practical issue is the reduction in CR-1s each year (from 8 to 4 for 1Ks, starting 2012)... that will result in a de facto reduction in p.s. upgrades. Well, that or the upgrades will start to come out of 1Ks' mileage balances more often, which I don't think UA would mind, either... and frankly, given a lack of other options, I'd pay 15k miles for p.s. C one-way in a heartbeat, no questions asked - so UA's probably onto something.

That could certainly be true; I'm not that well-versed on the situation - it's why I asked [​IMG]

25. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they are accepting applications for new slots, I know Oregon senators are pushing for this so AS can start DCA-PDX service... UA definitely will apply for DCA-SFO/LAX and have a good chance of winning SFO... I think LAX will be one of the last routes to be approved or considered by regulators, because it is already being served by AS.

Unless the other applications are not really viable or ideal and then I can see the regulators approving another LAX flight.

It would be awesome if BA starts A318 service DCA-LCY :D