Montreal Convention

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jetsetter, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you carry a copy of the Montreal or Warsaw convention with you when you fly?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just out of curiosity, how many of you actually carry a copy (be it a hard copy or digital) of the Montreal or Warsaw Convention?

This came to mind a few years ago when I started running into some "airlines" who did not remember some basics and had to actually point that out to a few of their agents. I was looking through my desktop, which is normally cluttered, I saw a copy of both and of course the very well known regulation (EC) No 261/2004. Just wondering if I am the only one out there that carries such thing on one's person?

2. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I'll bite.

I googled the Montreal and Warsaw Convention and did a quick read (on a reliable source...ahem Wikipedia). Obviously, I don't fall in the "carry convention on my person" category. [​IMG]

Can you share some of the instances where you had to bring this up to the airline's agents?

3. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the Montreal Convention replaced the Warsaw Convention when it came out. I am sure it has plenty of stuff that are irrelevant, won't really flash it to an agent after my death or something :p But I have had to do so a few times when it came to compensation for lost luggage before. Though my use is limited to only that, it has helped me get my damages paid.

As for the (EC) No 261/2004, I have used it before to claim compensation for cancelled flights within the European zone.

inukshuk likes this.
  4. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good one! [​IMG] Great examples of how to counter the "appeal to irrelevant authorities at headquarters" attitude with concrete regulations. Thanks for sharing.

5. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are these both after the Geneva Convention? I think it dates back to WWII.