Montevideo -advice about things to do?

Discussion in 'Central/South America' started by estnet, Jan 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm staying at an airbnb (not hotel) for a week and would be interested in suggestions - food, interesting places for day trips, cultural stuff. Not interested in night clubs and that sort of thing.

2. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    A trip over to Colonia del Sacramento would be very worthwhile as a day trip, just as a starter.

3. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on where you're going, you can spend a day or two enjoying the beaches of Punta del Este, or take the fast ferry over to Buenos Aires! I've personally found Montevideo to be rather dull for a week-long visit.

4. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Punta del Este would depend on "when" OP is going in my mind. If going now, it will be starting to slow down from its peak time, but should still be fairly busy. If going anytime after March and before, say, November, it will be pretty quiet, which is likely a good thing for the OP, as OP has no interest in the nightclubs and like.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm here now. If I went to BA for a day wouldn't I have to pay the high visa fee (US citizen)?

Is there a bus from the main terminal to Colonia? good for weekend (when I've been told Montevideo is quiet). Anything special to do there besides walk and eat?