Monarch Airlines investigates after pilot warns passengers of fault leading to 'watery grave'

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Apr 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Monarch Airlines investigates after pilot warns passengers of fault leading to 'watery grave'

Newscience, gregm and sobore like this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't even know they put reverse thrusters into aircraft anymore. :confused: Now the thrust reversers malfunctioning... that *is* a problem. I notice they use the right term and the wrong term in the same article, too. :rolleyes:

gregm and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, just to make sure, what's the right term then?

gregm and sobore like this.
  4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    A thruster is a device used to generate propulsion, usually used in terms of spacecraft or watercraft, such as a bow thruster on a ship. A jet engine can only generate thrust in one direction, therefore the device used changes the direction of the existing thrust - a thrust reverser. The terms are similar enough and frequently misused, it just makes me chuckle.

When someone says "reverse thrusters" I imagine jets of flame coming out of the nose of a jet as it lands to slow it down. Very amusing. :D

gregm and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's great to know. Thanks a lot. Cheers. :)

timfrost and gregm like this.